Anyone have any experience with Homebrew Stuff equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard2687

Reaction score
I am looking at getting away from stove top extract, and into out door brew in a bag. (5 gal) I have been keeping an eye out for 15 gal pots for a while (I like the flexibility of the size and want this to be my last pot for a long while). I would prefer a ball valve and wouldn't mind a thermometer, but these aren't deal breakers either way. I found the following deal on home brew finds,

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/15-gallon-kettle-w-valve-thermometer.html?i=6c300461

Does anyone have any experience with kettles from homebrew stuff or this kettle in particular?
Seems like a pretty good deal and looks to have solid thick walls, but my concerns were that the connections weren't weldless, the dimensions are wider than tall, and it is 30 pounds empty.
My fall back kettle if I can't find anything else will be this 16 gal Bayou Classic.
http://www.provantage.com/bayou-classic-1064~7BAYC001.htm

Much cheaper, but I'm not sure what the construction quality is. (Welded, no tri ply bottom)
Anyone have any opinions or other suggestions they would like to share?

I bought a 10 gallon pot from Home brew Stuff. I would never buy another one. After the first time I used it (indoors, mind you) the bottom of the pot warped and now it does not sit flush on any surface. I filled the thing with water and heated it up on my stove. It's never never been treated poorly. I spent around $100 on it but it would have been much better invested in something heartier.

I just added weldless balve valve to a keg a few weeks ago & its held up great. I think with weldless you just have to be ready & have extra gaskets on hand. Welded or not is not really the most important thing I think.

I think you'd be good with either but my two cents....go with the +thermometer, it'll save you the worry of adding it later.

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/15-gallon-kettle-w-valve-thermometer.html?i=6c300461

Does anyone have any experience with kettles from homebrew stuff or this kettle in particular?
Seems like a pretty good deal and looks to have solid thick walls, but my concerns were that the connections weren't weldless, the dimensions are wider than tall, and it is 30 pounds empty.

I bought 3 of the 10 gallon versions of the one you linked for my (work-in-progress) brew stand. They are certainly heavy-duty kettles. Very thick and sturdy (and heavy). I haven't had a chance to actually use them yet, though, but just from handling them I am impressed. They are better quality than I was expecting given the price.

I'm guessing the pots SteveHeff is referring to are the "economy" line, not what you linked, given the description and price. I don't see how these things could possibly warp without the use of high explosives or firearms.

Personally I have used both aluminum and stainless and I also agree with you to buy a big pot that is a good idea. Currently I have keggles and I installed weldless fittings from Brewhardware.com, a ball valve and sight glass kits with thermometers. Weldless fittings are great you can DIY them yourself.

When I went BIAB I started with a byou classic turkey fryer with a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot.

I know it seems daunting to pick out a pot but keep it simple, buy the biggest pot you can afford and if you are unsure about fittings buy it without it and add them later. Good luck.

I have two of the Heavy Duty 8 gallons, one with just a ball valve for boiling, their false bottom, and one that's their pre-built Hot Liquor Tank.

Couldn't be happier. As always, make sure your fittings are shielded from direct flame, especially if you have a Jet-type. Otherwise you can kiss your nice sight glass and thermometer goodbye.

Is the heat shield something that will normally come with the kettle? Or do I need to buy it separately?

I'm getting a keg dropped today from a buddy who works for Miller Lite. Only $30. I will turn it into a 15 gallon keggle and plan on getting my fittings from bargainfittings.com. As opposed to paying top $ for something pre made from a website. Anyone have any off flavors being that keg is aluminum?? I've heard that's a possibility and am worried but I see so many YouTube videos with people having them.

I'm getting a keg dropped today from a buddy who works for Miller Lite. Only $30. I will turn it into a 15 gallon keggle and plan on getting my fittings from bargainfittings.com. As opposed to paying top $ for something pre made from a website. Anyone have any off flavors being that keg is aluminum?? I've heard that's a possibility and am worried but I see so many YouTube videos with people having them.

I'd be really surprised if it is aluminum. Nearly all kegs are stainless steel. Aluminum kegs are really rare.

Take a brass key and scratch the side of the keg. If the key makes a gouge in the metal, then it's aluminum. If it doesn't scratch, then it's stainless.

The problem there is that I have neither the skill, nor the equipment to cut a keg apart and weld the fittings into place. I also like having a lid for Biab For $150 I'm not too concerned.

Not anything about kettles mind you, but i just ordered some stuff from fireman and was a little underwhelmed.

Picnic taps - requested 5 foot lines, and they're not even 3 and poor quality house at that. They sell the same item on Amazon for 1/2 the price. Also ordered a sanke connector. 35 bucks for what turned or to be a cheap ass brass holding when i was expecting stainless. I would have ordered elsewhere but i was trying to keep my shipping fees at a minimum.

Will be calling them Monday morning!

Back