Anyone have a recipe for Ommegang Belgian Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew my first Belgian, and I thought I'd start with a BPA.

I want something dry, as I'm not a huge fan of malty, boozy belgians.

The description of Ommegang BPA sounds perfect, but I can't find a clone recipe.

"BPA is brewed with 5 specialty malts and generously- though not excessively -hopped with three hops: Columbus for bittering, three additions of Celeia for aroma, then dry-hopped with Cascade. BPA is primary fermented and bottle-conditioned using our signature house yeast." - http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=12&spclty=1

Seems like a good start. Probably starts in the mid-1.050s, good attenuation will get you to the 6.2% ABV. I’m surprised there are so many malts though. I’d use mostly pils, Vienna/Munich/Aromatic/Wheat/Pale would be prime suspects, but I’d probably just use ~10% each Vienna and Wheat. Mash in the high-140s for good fermentability.

I remember it being pretty bitter, maybe ~45 IBUs(?) with .66 oz of Celeia (if you can find it, otherwise it is supposed to be similar to Saaz or Styrian Goldings) at 10, 5, and 0 and enough Columbus at 60 to get the rest of the way. Ferment in the high-60s with Wyeast 1388 or White Labs WLP570 (supposedly as close as you can get to their house yeast without culturing it). Then dry hop with an ounce or two of Cascades.

Good luck.

this beer is very good, i had it recently at a local music venue. Its is not very bitter at all actually, and has lots of fruity notes, most similar to grapefruit. Great beer all in all, i would love to brew a clone of this as well!

So, I tasted my BPA clone after 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in the bottle. It's decent, though still green, I am sure this will get better with time. Still, it lacks the complexity that Ommegang's BPA had.

I finished the batch last week, and it was pretty solid after 5 months. I'd happily brew it again.

Back