Anyone have a recipe for a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for a good stout? I would like to do a partial. I only have one brew under my belt and it was a partial. I would like to think i did a pretty good job at steeping those grains. I read an article on making a coffee stout but all it said was how to add the coffee. Thanks!

There are quite a few stout recipes in the recipe database https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68 Many of these recipes are all grain but can be converted pretty easily to extract w/ grains or partial mash. For your previous batch you said it was a partial mash but you bring up steeping. If you used 6 or so pounds of malt extract and just a little grain and steeped it for color and flavor, you're not doing a partial mash as you don't get any fermentable sugars out of the grain that way.

What are some commercial examples of stouts that you like? Do you prefer a sweet, dry or imperial stout, etc?

This is an extract recipe that I haven't tried yet.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Royal American
Author: DaveyBoy

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Russian Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 5.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.084
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 8.22%
IBU (rager): 81.36
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
8.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (75.89%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - Black Malt (8.93%)
0.7 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (6.25%)
1 lb - Dark Chocolate (8.93%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Horizon (AA 12.5) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.8 oz - Centennial (AA 7.8) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 oz - Irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temperature: 60 F - 72 F

NOTES:
I live to love Stouts. With Old Rasputin being one if my favorites. I wanted that Imperial Stout character while maintaining the American Stout content.

As a fellow Redskins fan, I can tell to you that the Lefthand Milk Stout is about the best thing I've ever had in a keg. I don't know if the being a Redskins fan and liking that beer is a correlation or causation relationship. I am eager to make the clone of this beer. Good luck!

Back