anyone have a good two hearted clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
anyone have a good two hearted clone out there? i am a semi-beginner, and haven't done any all grains yet. i back to backed a bell's two hearted and a dfh 60 minute, and to my suprise the two hearted was much better in my opinion. i thought i was hooked on the 60 minute.

I'd like to see a Two Hearted clone as well. I agree, nc - Two Hearted is FAR better than DFH 60. I think they use similar hops (definitely Simcoe in the Two Hearted, probably Amarillo as well), but the Two Hearted is so much more flavorful.

So I flipped my issue of BYO Clone Brews open, and there it is! I was wrong about the hopping - Two Hearted is all Centennial.

9.33 lbs 2-row
2.0 lbs Vienna
0.5 lbs Crystal 10L
0.33 lbs Carapils

Single infusion mash at 152 degrees F

Boil 75 minutes

0.5 oz Centennial (60 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (45 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (30 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (15 min)
0.33 oz Centennial (flameout)
0.33 oz Centennial (dry hop)

0.5 tsp Irish moss (15 min)

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast
or
White Labs WLP051 California V yeast
or
Bottle cultured yeast from a Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Extract variation:
Replace 2-row with 4.5 lbs light DME
Steep grains at 152 degrees F for 45 minutes
Cut boil time to 60 minutes

sweet......... thanks yuri. i will archive your recipe. i found a couple more on the net, and they all call for all centennials. i'll give it a try as soon as my primary opens up.

oh man, talking about two hearted is making me thirsty. I think I'll have one next. :rockin:

Northen Brewer has a fantastic clone of Two-Hearted ale. It's very close.
Three Hearted Ale

Fermentables
* 11.5 lbs. Rahr 2-Row
* 1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40
Boil Additions
* 0.75 oz. Centennial (60 min)
* 1 oz. Centennial (20 min)
* 2 oz. Centennial (5 min)
Special Ingredients
* 1 oz. Centennial Hops (dry hop)
Yeast
* Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast.

From what I've read about this one, you need to add a lot more than .5 or .33 at the end to get the amount of aroma that this beer has. Id suggest 1oz at 10, and 1-2oz dry hop.

BTW, im brewing this one up next. about 80-15-5 tworow-vienna-40L, i might throw in a touch of wheat too. hop schedual something like .5@60, .75@20, 1@10, 1@5 and 2 dryhop. Yeast from the bottle.

This consensus that two hearted is better makes me sad. Not that I didn't expect bells to make a damn good product, 2 hearted is my favorite commercial IPA. I followed the advice of a LHBS before I knew they had no idea what was going on and have a DFH 60 going. Although I suppose I should have tried a DFH 60 before I signed up to brew 5 gallons of it :drunk:

Well, Bell's is great, no doubt about it. But I do prefer the DFH just a bit. I think there is more aroma in the DFH, and I'm not too wild about centennial hops. I prefer the simcoe/amarillo hops flavor.

david_the_greek said:
This consensus that two hearted is better makes me sad. Not that I didn't expect bells to make a damn good product, 2 hearted is my favorite commercial IPA. I followed the advice of a LHBS before I knew they had no idea what was going on and have a DFH 60 going. Although I suppose I should have tried a DFH 60 before I signed up to brew 5 gallons of it :drunk:

Nothing wrong with DFH 60 - it's a terrific beer in its own right. Personally, I'm about equal on the two, they're both really, really good beers.

Alamo_Beer said:
+1

I've never had it but it sounds awesome...
It is. I put down a 6er of it the other night. I love that stuff, I'm glad I only got 6 of them or I could have been hurting. Once I start drinking it, I just can't stop. :drunk:

Back