Anyone have a favorite (extract-based) imperial stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
Was going to bottle today, but my hydrometer reading has gone down to 1.016
You seem to be rushing this. It's not clear to me when you actually brewed this beer, but on the 25th you were still talking about plans for steeping grains. So this beer is at best not quite two weeks old. Is that right? This is a big beer. You were advised, correctly I believe, to not do a secondary. This does not mean you need to rush the bottling. You need to figure at least three weeks. I'd suggest four. This is a big beer. The last drop in the gravity reading could just be stuff dropping out of suspension. Be patient, my friend. :mug:

edit: reading back, I see that the brew day was the 23rd, but I'll let my post be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoochin'Hank

Reaction score
You need to figure at least three weeks. I'd suggest four. This is a big beer. The last drop in the gravity reading could just be stuff dropping out of suspension. Be patient, my friend. :mug:
Thanks DB, I appreciate the advice. I'll give it four weeks, and keep this is mind for next time I attempt an imperial.

OP
OP
H

Hoochin'Hank

Reaction score
So I just finally cracked a bottle of my RIS (post #20 in this thread). I know I screwed up my priming sugar, but had no idea just how badly I'd screwed it up...

I filled 28 bottles, and didn't thoroughly mix the priming sugar into the beer before I started filling bottles. I figured for sure the first bottles would be pretty flat, but that the last 4-pack would be great, maybe even over-carbed. Anyways, I just cracked a bottle from the final 4 bottled beers, and it's completely flat.
Poured it into a glass anyways, and it actually tastes quite good! Disappointingly FLAT, of course, but reminds me of a good barley wine.

Is there any hope of rescuing these with some carbonation? (I don't have CO2 tanks or anything like that). Brewing software suggests that a 12 oz bottle at 68F needs 0.66 tsp (0.1 oz) of table sugar. Do I dare crack open each bottle, and if there's no "pop" at all, go ahead and add that much sugar, recap, and put back into the closet for a couple weeks?

Last edited:

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If the beer is carbed at all and you try to add straight sugar to the bottle, it will start foaming a LOT really fast. You could try dissolving the sugar in water and chilling. That may allow you to add and re-cap. (I've done it before). But it is tough to predict if your yeast will still work (I don't remember your abv or if you chilled the beer yet). Anyway, this may not make your beer any better, could make it worse. But if you want to give it a try, there is a chance it will work (I'll optimistically give it 40% chance of working).

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoochin'Hank

Reaction score
So I went ahead and opened up every last bottle. Maybe two bottles emitted the tiniest "pshht" of air. Added 0.1 oz table sugar to each, and recapped.
As a precaution, I've put my thick leather gloves on top of the box. Plan is to leave them for two weeks, and then open another one (while wearing the thick leather gloves). If it's normally carbed, great! If it's super foamy, I'll gently place them in fridge and keep them as cold as possible. And if they are still not carbed, the only other thing I can think of is that the Nottingham yeast just doesn't want to make any more alcohol -- tho the beer is at 10.3 -ish % ABV.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nottingham can go to at least 14%. So no worries there. If you got the sugar add and bottles recapped, you should be fine.

I use my own shorthand system for sugar & carbing (and admittedly overcarb my beer), but I think your .1 oz is about half what I add to 12 oz bottles.

OP
OP
H

Hoochin'Hank

Reaction score
What's weird is I used the same priming calculator I've used for all my other batches, and this flat RIS has been sitting right next to a chocolate porter I recently bottled (10 days ago? something like that), and the porter is carbonated -- so it's not too cold. Maybe I screwed up my "tare weight" setting on my scale when I was bottling the RIS -- I certainly screwed up everything else that day!

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's weird is I used the same priming calculator I've used for all my other batches, and this flat RIS has been sitting right next to a chocolate porter I recently bottled (10 days ago? something like that), and the porter is carbonated -- so it's not too cold. Maybe I screwed up my "tare weight" setting on my scale when I was bottling the RIS -- I certainly screwed up everything else that day!
Especially for big (high ABV) beers such as a RIS, it's recommended to add some fresh, high alcohol tolerant (12%+) yeast to your batch along with your priming sugar. It's possible the yeast with which you fermented your batch is suffering from alcohol poisoning. ;)

CBC-1 is a special yeast, meant for Cask/Bottling/Conditioning.
Margin note: CBC-1 is also known as a "killer yeast." But it doesn't matter for that final use, you won't be pitching anything after that anyway.

Reaction score
Especially for big (high ABV) beers such as a RIS, it's recommended to add some fresh, high alcohol tolerant (12%+) yeast to your batch along with your priming sugar.
When I bottle condition my small batch barley wines (~10%), I use CBC-1 (roughly 1/10th gram per bottle) with good results on every bottle.

johnt_mn

Reaction score
When I bottle condition my small batch barley wines (~10%), I use CBC-1 (roughly 1/10th gram per bottle) with good results on every bottle.
Do you add 1/10th gram CBC-1 to each bottle, or add the amount needed for ALL bottles to your priming solution for the whole batch? If you add to each bottle, how do you measure such a small amount?

Reaction score
Do you add 1/10th gram CBC-1 to each bottle, or add the amount needed for ALL bottles to your priming solution for the whole batch? If you add to each bottle, how do you measure such a small amount?
It's 1/10 gram for each bottle. Jewelry scales have a 20g max weight and a 0.001g precision.