Anyone had to solder MPT fittings on CFC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndinh

Reaction score
I bought a CFC secondhand (originally bought from Northern Brewer). It's the one with the straight ends, I believe, designed to just use hoses with. I'd like to use my cam locks on it so I went to HD to find 1/2" MPT adapters or compression fittings. Since it's a strange size, non of the compression fittings work (1/2" too small and 5/8" too big). Just wondering if I can solder a fitting on it. If so, what size did you use? Can I solder a 1/2" fitting even though it's pretty loose? Thx.

I actually just had this problem. What ended up fitting is something like this. I'm not sure on the specifics, but according to what I was told, pipe sizes are ID, while tubing is OD. So a 1/2 pipe fitting works with about a 5/8" tube. A little bit of JBWeld and I was on my way. They had these in other materials as well, if copper bothers you.

I believe you are looking for a sweat-to-MPT copper fitting. Check with Northernbrewer on the tubing size they use and it should be an easy solve.

I actually just had this problem. What ended up fitting is something like this. I'm not sure on the specifics, but according to what I was told, pipe sizes are ID, while tubing is OD. So a 1/2 pipe fitting works with about a 5/8" tube. A little bit of JBWeld and I was on my way. They had these in other materials as well, if copper bothers you.

Thanks Kingbogart. Yeah, I went through all the fittings HD had including the one you mentioned. When I put it on, it seemed really loose and not a snug fit. So, you basically glued it on without any issues or any other connector pieces? Thx.

Yup, smeared on a liberal amount of the JBWeld slid on the connector and then put a little extra at the back. Let it sit for a day. The next day, rock solid. I ran it just this last weekend with no issues.

I'm in the same boat. Can you silver solder with the 1/2" fitting that loose? In other words, will to solder fill that slight gap? That was my plan but I haven't tried it yet. I've never soldered before so this was going to be my "learning project" after some practice runs.

I never considered JBweld. If I can't solder it, that sounds like a good backup.

Why not use the compression fittings I linked too on Kal's site? They are sold on Amazon and no need to mess with glue that isn't food grade or soldering.

I'm in the same boat. Can you silver solder with the 1/2" fitting that loose? In other words, will to solder fill that slight gap? That was my plan but I haven't tried it yet. I've never soldered before so this was going to be my "learning project" after some practice runs.

I never considered JBweld. If I can't solder it, that sounds like a good backup.

First off, thanks everyone. I was checking out all the soldering stuff at HD also. This was going to be my first attempt after watching numerous soldering clips on youtube. It would've been a $30 project. JBweld or compression fittings may be key. I've purchased both 1/2" and 5/8" compression fittings and they don't fit as they are. May try the multiple o-ring technique + 5/8" compression fitting technique from the link.

Get a short piece 1/2" copper pipe not tubing. It should fit snugly over your straight tube . Solder that and then a 1/2" pipe of your choice should solder on over that.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Has anyone found a sweat-to-MPT stainless steel fitting?

I don't think you can solder stainless steel to copper, I could be wrong, but in order to join copper to stainless you may have to braze it on.

I have the same chiller, although mine came from Williams Brewing. It's a weird pipe size and I haven't found anyone that has been able to use a compression fitting on theirs. If you come up with a good solution, please come back and share it.

On mine, I just clamped on a piece of silicon hose and used a barbed camlock. It doesn't looks as clean, but it works.

I have the same chiller, although mine came from Williams Brewing. It's a weird pipe size and I haven't found anyone that has been able to use a compression fitting on theirs. If you come up with a good solution, please come back and share it.

On mine, I just clamped on a piece of silicon hose and used a barbed camlock. It doesn't looks as clean, but it works.

See post 10

Hey all,
First off, just wanted to thank everyone for your numerous comments and help. It sounds like alot of people are in the same boat so this may help. I ended up following the steps from the link to Kal's setup (theelectricbrewery.com). It was easy and the 2 compression fittings + bag of o-rings came out to around $45. Not the cheapest solution but it does look clean and I didn't have to try my hand at soldering copper. I tested it with water and it doesn't leak as far as I know. I'll brew this weekend so we'll see, I guess. Here's some pics but you can follow the above link to get the details.

0123961ff338dc0e216d1b4980c6a1c0b56f43368b.jpg

010441c8e97c7fe11664d7c21ca368c633f9a5e30d.jpg

01df5f62c8b68af1609369577eb86abfa3e42f3a93.jpg

Back