anyone had AHS Bavarian Hefewiezen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneypierce

Reaction score
Has anyone has this beer??? I brewed a batch, and to me it tastes horrible. Im a big Franziskaner fan, and this one really let me down. I was more curious as to what others thought of it. Perhaps my brewing was just bad??? IDK.

I have AHS's Franz copy that Im thinking of brewing up here tonight. Be interested to see how that one turns out.

extract or all grain?
what yeast?
Fermentation temp?

I did the partial mash and wasnt happy with it. That being said, with wheats, fermentation and yeast is more important than recipe, IMO.

sorry. It is an extract.

I used the recommended dry yeast (Danstar Munich German Yeast)
Fermented at around 67*

I've not heard great things about that yeast. I have never tried it.

Also AHS liquid wheat extract is only 40% wheat and 60% 2-row. Instead of a majority of wheat malt and pilsner malt. Maybe try a different vendor, I've had good success with midwest supplies wheat liquid extract.

sorry. It is an extract.

Fermented at around 67*

I've done the partial mash with 3068 and really liked it. Tastes nothing like a Franziskaner though. IMO fresh liquid yeast is the only way to go when brewing a hefeweizen.

I have AHS's Franz copy that Im thinking of brewing up here tonight. Be interested to see how that one turns out.

I brewed this for some friends who really like Franz, it was an all grain kit and they loved it. I'm not a fan of the style, but I guess it's close.

its just nothing like what I expected. I honestly cant even drink an entire glass. just doesnt taste good to me. I will try and franz copy and see how that goes. I dont want to switch sources just yet, as AHS has been very helpful to me, and I LOVE there kits. They package everything so well, and instructions are top notch.

Sounds more like a yeast issue than anything. I am brewing a wheat/IPA hybrid this weekend and will be using WB06. Maybe check that out if you want to stick with dry yeast.

The last kit I did was a different AHS weisse kit. I followed the directions exactly (all grain) and it came out completely watery with a piss poor taste. Really, really disappointing.

Then again, poor quality and AHS seem to go together more and more these days.

The last kit I did was a different AHS weisse kit. I followed the directions exactly (all grain) and it came out completely watery with a piss poor taste. Really, really disappointing.

All 12 of my batches (extract, PM, and AG) have been from AHS and I have been nothing but pleased with the results. Like rodneypierce said they always package their kits well and customer service has been good. Do I need to try a different vendor?

maybe I will give a few midwest kits a try here. I plan to buy 2 more kits here in the following weeks. A double chocolate stout and a oatmeal stout.

I'm surprised to read this. I haven't ordered anything from Austin Homebrew lately, but have many, many times in the past. All the kits were very good.

Did you ever consider it may be the nut behind the wheel??

_

it could also be me too guys. Thats only my second batch of beer. And neither has turned out to well. (the first batch was a red ale, from a true brew kit, and from what I have read, that kit just isnt very good)

sorry. It is an extract.

Fermented at around 67*

I don't think that yeast will make a proper hefe. Word on the street is that the dry yeasts don't produce the bannana and clove flavors.

FWIW I have used the AHS hefeweizen kit and it makes a great German wheat beer. But you have to use the liquid yeast wlp300.

Thats only my second batch of beer. And neither has turned out to well.

In this case i would have to call it operator error rather then blame AHS most popular beer kit.

Have you read the beer bible yet? "How to Brew"

I've brewed the AHS AG hefe kit and I've also brewed the extract Midwest Hank's hefe multiple times using liquid yeast.

Taste is a subjective matter so your mileage may vary. However, I had better response on the Hank's hefe.

Both kits were quality kits so that shouldn't be the determining factor.

It's really not a complicated recipe. The secret to a good hefe is the flavors produced by the yeast. The malt and hops are as bland as possible.

In this case i would have to call it operator error rather then blame AHS most popular beer kit.

Have you read the beer bible yet? "How to Brew"

could be, but I followed everything to a T, and I can promise you that! The first kit was a true brew, and search around. I havnt found a single person that thought that particular kit was worth a damn.

This beer just doesnt even taste good. Not one bit. Perhaps it is the yeast. I will buy the liquid yeast for the next batch.

I have done a TON of reading on how to brew. Im on this forum WAY more then I should be :D

Austins kits are very good. i would definitely blame it on the yeast. any of the all grain kits, even partial mash for that matter were from Austin, and have all turned out great. i even brewed the kit in question, turned out great.
i'm sure you have all heard that you can have 2 brewers brew the same exact recipe and the will turn out different. and yeah, i always use the White Labs version of the yeast that the recommend with their kits.

partial mash with 3068 - tasted excellent - fermented at about 62.

If I had to guess I would say yeast as that is the single most important thing in a Hefe! And water??? Did you do anything to the water . 5.2 buffer by chance? Hard water sucks for Hefe's

AHS kits are excellent and actually getting better in my book!

I brewed that kit a few months ago, and it was really good.

I used the wlp 300, kept a good eye on fermentation temp (after a day or so of being a tad warm) and it had really good balance, with just enough banana flavor.

I thought it tasted better than Paulaner, actually, but maybe I'm just biased.

German wheats are my favorite, and I thought this fit the style really well.

cool. I will chalk it up to either my brewing or the dry yeast. I will buy a liquid yeast for the Franz. copy kit and see how that goes. Maybe I will use this other packet of Danstar Munich yeast for a cider.

You never mentioned, do you use tap water? Might try bottled water and see if there is a difference.

sorry. It is an extract.

Fermented at around 67*

THAT is your problem.

With a Hefe, the yeast is the key. I have tried using Munich and it never really worked.

Try Wyeast 3068 or 3638 next time.

sorry. It is an extract.

Fermented at around 67*

THAT is your problem.

With a Hefe, the yeast is the key. I have tried using Munich and it never really worked.

Try Wyeast 3068 or 3638 next time.
^^^^ There a couple styles of beers you dont cheap out on and buy dry yeast. Hefewiezen's are one, WLP 300 or Wyeast 3068 should have been what you used, if your going for a good/true Hefe.

Though I read the thread rather quickly, did not see you describe the flavors, only that it "tasted horrible." I am likewise struggling with a hefe brewed with the Danstar dry yeast; it has really bad plastic flavor that makes it undrinkable. It was very slow to start - four days - and then fermentation was extremely slow (3 weeks) and even while fermenting, smelled of plastic and cleaning fluid. Two other times I have had very good hefes using White Labs liquid; this was the first time using Danstar munich dry and, coincidentally, 100% tap water. Anyway, I am interested in what yours tastes like, if we perhaps have the same off flavors and maybe can point to a problem with the yeast.

Though I read the thread rather quickly, did not see you describe the flavors, only that it "tasted horrible." I am likewise struggling with a hefe brewed with the Danstar dry yeast; it has really bad plastic flavor that makes it undrinkable. It was very slow to start - four days - and then fermentation was extremely slow (3 weeks) and even while fermenting, smelled of plastic and cleaning fluid. Two other times I have had very good hefes using White Labs liquid; this was the first time using Danstar munich dry and, coincidentally, 100% tap water. Anyway, I am interested in what yours tastes like, if we perhaps have the same off flavors and maybe can point to a problem with the yeast.

YES!! Thats pretty much the taste and smell I also have. Ever smelled the inside of a Mr. Beer keg?? Thats pretty much exactly the smell, and what I would imagine that smell to taste like!! I also used 100% tap water.

I wished I had saved the yeast packet now, to get the lot number off of it. . .

Plastic and medicinal are phenolic flavors. Phenols are natural products of the yeast. Some strains make more phenols then others. German wheat yeast is well know for producing lotsa phenols. Typically, it's a clove like flavor but If you have chlorine in your water or are using a chlorine type sanitizer (like bleach or c-brite) then the chlorine can bond with the phenols to produce chlorophenols. These chlorophenols are really nasty tasting like rubber, or medicine (like Chloraseptic throat spray). Perhaps that's your problem. Most brewers avoid chlorine and/or take extra steps to remove it from their brewing water.

Did you contact the store or just post on someone elses forum? I am sure that if you contacted them and let them know they would make it right. I hear that their customer service is awesome.

Forrest

Did you use bleach, star san, or Iodine to sanitize with?

If you are really unhappy I can make it right but I have to get to the bottom of the problem.

Most of the off flavors we encounter are star san, bleach, or iodophor issues. Boiling will remove the trace of chlorine in the water. It is usually sanitizer not rinsed well enough or mixed to strong or both. Let me know, it really shouldn't taste bad.

If it is a banana, clove or bubble gum taste it is supposed to be there.

Forrest

Forrest

AHS is one of the top shops in the country. I've been dealing with them for several years and they have excellent products and service.

Forrest, its not bannana, clove or bubble gum flavors. I have had my fair share of Hefe's, and this doesnt taste like anything. I followed your guys directions to a T. I used iodophor to sanitize, at a ratio of 1 table spoon for 5 gallons of water. This should yield a 12.5ppm solution.

Im not entirely blaming your kit, it could by far be the yeast. Or it could of been me also. But i can say im very thorough at cleaning and sanitizing. And you guys didnt do anything wrong. I wasnt planning this thread to turn into a bash AHS thread, as that isnt what i wanted. We have PM'ed back and fourth numberous times.

A couple of things, what type of water did you use, and how long have you allowed it to ferment?

If I use my tap water, my beer comes out HORRIBLE with those same types of harsh medical plastic tastes mentioned above. Now I use the 5 gallon jugs from Lowes for all of my brewing.

Back