Anyone got a recipe for diet pepsi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
Never thought of making soda before (thank you so much for not calling this "pop" making) but SWMBO drinks about 48 cans of it a WEEK. If anyone has a recipe it has got to be cheaper to make it myself.

The most common base cola recipe available is the "Open Cola" project.

OpenCola (drink) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ingredients are not terribly easy to come by, but you can find them all online.

Here's a FANTASTIC episode of "This American Life" that discusses the production of cola. Listen you wont me dissappointed.

Original Recipe | This American Life

I would suggest buying a pre mixed cola flavoring, then add in your own diet sweetener.

Sweeteners will be the hard part of making a diet cola...

Aspertame: 200x sweeter than sugar minimal aftertaste. aka, Equal, Nutrasweet, Canderel. Looses sweetness if heated

Cyclamtes: First artificial sweetener. 50x sweeter than sugar. Illegal in the USA.

Saccharin: 30x sweeter than sugar. Metallic Aftertaste. Illegal in Canada.

Sucralose: 600x sweeter than sugar. Minimal aftertaste. Aka, Splenda.

Acesulfame Potassium: 200x Sweeter than sugar. Aka, Sunett.

Because sucralose has 83% of the calories of sugar, by weight, and you'll have to use SO LITTLE it's exactly what I would suggest. Though nothing will ever beat real sugar.

Questions class?

Back