Anyone force carb with the shake method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Does anyone force carb with the shake method?

I saw a YouTube video where someone would shake their keg( roll it on the ground very fast) then relief the pressure, refill it at 6-8psi and serve.

I don't really trust this method

Does it work? Would you recommend it? Thoughts?

I've tried the method you mention and it does work. Just be prepared to be rolling it around on the ground for an hour or more at high 30+PSI. Fine if you've nothing better to do or your desperate, but not if you're trying to dial your brew to a specific volume of CO2. You're much better off using the set it and forget it method (8-10psi for several weeks) or calculate for specific CO2 volume at a given PSI, temp, and duration.

P

I dis it a few times. Surprisingly, at 30psi and 5 minutes of shaking, the beer was still under carbed the next day, lol.

I used to just set it and forget it, but with 1 tap, and other kegs aged for an appropriate amount of time in the closet to age, I hook up the gas, push 30 psi for 3 days, then relieve the pressure and serve at 10 psi, or whatever the style calls for. Generally, its undercarbed for a day, but drinkable, and carved fully the next day or two.

I tried it when I started kegging and screwed up . Overcarbed one and undercarbed another.

I tried force carbing it last night. It actually didn't turn out too bad. But the beer taste kinda......well really bready. I've never tasted it like this before. I think some yeast got in the keg this time. I hope it goes away

Dude seriously, what did you expect it to taste like in that other thread? When you transfer, there is a little junk along for the ride. It settles out.

I have done it in a 2 liter bottle a few times to get a jump on a brew, then put the rest in a keg. I filled the 2 liter to about 3/4 full, squished out the air, put in 30psi CO2 (home-made carbonator cap), shook until the bottle became soft, brought back to 30psi, repeat until it doesn't go soft. Then put in fridge to cool for an hour. Dropped back to 15psi. Drank. Twasn't bad. If it works in a 2 litre soda bottle, it should work in a keg.

I do it, set at 30 to 40. Shake the living piss out of it for 60 sec. Leave co2 on overnight at 30. Bleed next day, good to good. Is it consistent, no way. I prefer 20 lbs for 1 week.

I've done it but got tired of shaking it. So now I set it to 30 psi for about 2 days and then reduce down to 10-12 psi and sometimes it's still slightly undercarbed but usually is carbed within another day or two. But for some reason, even with this method I feel it still takes another week before I start getting those nice pours with good head. I might be imaging it.

Back