Anyone experienced the Safale K-97 yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfboy

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am using the Safale K-97 yeast for a room temperature brew right now. It has been in the primary for 8 days already, and the kreutzen still hasn't settled.

Is this normal? I do agree that the yeast has a very firm foam during the primary fermentation.

Thanks

J

I just used the stuff for the first time last month. It works as advertised - creates a pretty firm krausen layer during fermentation, has very low flocculation, and results in a pretty clean flavor profile. It's great for an American wheat or a Blue Moon/Shock Top style "wit," but you'll never make a good Bavarian or Belgian style beer with it. Overall I'm slightly disappointed, but I guess I'll be making a TON of American wheat beer since I have something like 485 grams left!

I've used this yeast once commercially in a Belgian style Wit. Didn't much care for it. I do think Fermentis makes some good strains, including for commercial brewing. I've had great results with US-05 and S-23 lager.

I forgot to comment on your krausen not settling. My Belgian Wit was in a stainless uni-tank, so I couldn't see it. It does take a long time for the yeast to flock as a finished beer. I don't think any of the fermentis strains make good Belgian style beers by themselves. My best success there is fermenting the S-23 lager at ale temps and achieving that "Belgian" character with orange peel (bitter and sweet) and maybe coriander.

This thread has inspired me to sample my first batch of K-97 beer.

I remember I still had krauzen after a week or so, fermenting a little hot around 75.

I read about low floculation with this strain so i left it in the fermenter for a month before kegging.

The flavor is nice for the light German ale I was going for... It ferments pretty clean, but with a nice touch of unique flavor.

Wow, I would never have thought that yeast was an Alt strain but you guys make it sound like it is.

Hmmmm. :p

EDIT: searching folks seem to think this is actually a Kolsch strain. Nice. I'll have to give it a shot for my next batch of Helles Belles. :drunk:

Hi
Its been a while since I polished up that batch of beer. Here is a little update.
I left that thing in primary for 11 days before moved it to secondary. I didn't cold condition my secondary. The beer has an "odd" taste. A touch of rubbery "yeast lysis" flavour to it. That strange taste went away for the bottles which had long cold conditioning in the fridge.

In the primary, the kreutzen still stay there for a long time. However, the bubbling on top will stop around 6-8 days while the yeast still floats atop. From personal experience, this is when the beer should be transfer to secondary. I just made another batch, this time transfer the batch from primary to secondary after 6 days. The green beer has little residual sugar in it. Its being cold condition in secondary this time.

Yeah the German ale strains take forever to clear. You could add gelatin to the secondary before cold conditioning which will help encourage them to flocculate out. Geltatin leaves enough yeast behind to still carbonate the beer, so don't worry.

From BierMuncher:

I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per tablespoon.

Stir it up and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to hydrate and bloom.

Put the pot on the stove and heat until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.

Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).

Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer.

I know there isn't a lot out there on this yeast, so I figured I'd add my experience. I pitched this on saturday into my oktoberfest (a misnomer if I ever saw one, as this is obviously a beer for year-round enjoyment) at 66*F. Over the next few days the temperature dropped to 64*F, then started back up to 67*F. The lag time at this temperature was long, almost 48 hours, and even then activity was slow at first, but it has become really vigorous now with plenty of blowoff as of wed night(5gal in a 5gal better bottle). Obviously I can't say anything about the attenuation, flocculation, or flavor yet, but I will post back later.

66% apparent attenuation compared to 76% from wyeast kolsch. Fermentation finished inside of a week. Hydrometer sample tasted better than the sample when I used wyeast kolsch. Flocculation seems better too. I am definitely looking forward to this beer.

I have an Alt going right now with this yeast, and though it took 5 full days to get started, it has been bubbling away regularly for a week now. It's in a bucket, so I can't really tell you what the krausen looks like, but I'm not in a great big hurry, so I can let this go until I see nothing doing, then I'll start taking readings.

I re-hydrated the K-97 and then gave it a stir on my new stir-plate for 30 minutes before pitching (and then tossed my stir-bar into the bucket!).

I brewed an all grain batch of Munich Weisse with K-97 last week. I pitched two 11.5g packets that I made a slurry with first. I also oxygenated via O2 tank and carb stone for about two minutes. Fermentation started at right around the 12 hour mark and went crazy for the next two days. Just over a week later now and there is still some fermentation and about a 1 inch krausen on the top. Temp has been around 65f. I recently made a similar batch with WB-06 which is still in the fermenter as well. Should be able to taste them side by side in a few weeks:mug:

Just finished up a batch with Safale K-97 and was disappointed by the lack of information on the web before I brewed, so I thought I'd add to an old thread in case anyone goes searching...

I fermented at 60* to 62* for a three week primary. The fermentation only lasted 15 days, however, although the OG of the beer was 1.075, so it should be expected that the fermentation dragged on a bit. The actual attenuation rate was 76%, though the yeast in suspension initially gave a false rate of 71-73%. (Yes, the yeast flocculates poorly enough to impact the final gravity measurement by several points.) The krausen was excellent, as others have reported, and I got a nice, bready smell from the airlock that gave way to a fruitier pear and banana-like smell as the fermentation progressed. After the three week primary--when I would usually bottle--the beer remained extremely cloudy due to the yeast that remained in suspension. I mean, clumps of yeast were still floating at the top a week after the fermentation had finished out. There was still airlock activity also, which should emphasize the fact that you need to rely on gravity readings only! At this point, the hydrometer reading read 1.020. I crash cooled the beer at this point and stored it at 45* for 10 days. About an inch of new trub formed in the process. The beer was re-seeded during bottling. The resulting beer was fairly clean and well-attenuated, though it had a tangy finish and a slight pear ester. The yeast is supposed to be an alt yeast, and I think it would make a great alt or kolsch. That said, the yeast was kind of a pain to work with compared to Safale S-05, which I think it could be easily compared to or even mistaken for.

*Notes: This is based off of only one batch. I used it in a maibock, so while it definitely stretched the style, I recorded careful measurements and got some useful insights into the character of the yeast.

Amazing, to hear people saying it's a slow starter. I just put a yeast starter together with k97 and it was fermenting within the hour - vigerously. I'm wondering if I need to get a blow off valve ready on my carboy or not...

here's my yeast starter: 250ml of Weyermans LME about a litre of water. Hydrated the yeast for about 10 seconds before dropping it in the wort.

Back