Anyone every have this problem while crushing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
The rotating dowl that I attach my drill to on my BC is waring down. It's thinning out toward the outter edge, I imagine from attaching my drill there. My last two brewdays had to be milled by hand (15# for the first one, uch!) because my drill just wouldn't stay clamped. I would think it's the drill just not being able to stay tight becasue after a couple seconds of rotation it keeps going without milling. So I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. The drill is only about 6 mo old. Could it be time for a new one already?

You can replace the chuck, (the thing that grabs drill bits), with a better chuck, (one with a chuck key). How you do this depends on the drill, I think, but usually you can just put the drill in "forward" mode, and grab the base of the keyless chuck and turn real hard counter clockwise, and it will screw off...at least that's how it works on mine.

Alternatively, you can replace the bolt with one that has a hex head and use a wrench bit in your drill that fits the bolt. The wrench bit will have a hex shaft so it won't slip.

Latest posts

Back