anyone ever use the sensory training kits from siebel??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
i was thinking of buying the basic one that comes with 4 viles each of Acetaldehyde
Isoamyl acetate
Diacetyl
DMS
Trans-2nonenal
Infected

it cost $180 and although it is really expensive i think it would be a good learning experience. i also wanted to bring it to my local beer club and share it with a few homebrewers as well.

i was thinking of buying the basic one that comes with 4 viles each of Acetaldehyde
Isoamyl acetate
Diacetyl
DMS
Trans-2nonenal
Infected

it cost $180 and although it is really expensive i think it would be a good learning experience. i also wanted to bring it to my local beer club and share it with a few homebrewers as well.

I don't get why you'd need 4 of each of those. They make so much and the flavors are so distinct. I'd see if you could split it up with other groups.

I've been through the Sensory Training Kit three times. I think the basic is enough, though. You could get by with that.

Seems like it could be cool, but I would see if there are some other club members that would split up the cost since you would get enough material to do a nice club learning event.

A BJCP recognized or higher judge can purchase a kit with far more flavors (but one vial of each) for $50. This is highly subsidized and an outstanding value. Joining the BJCP costs $50 (the exam fee) and you would have to pass the exam (and results take several months).

I assume your club has several BJCP members. If you aren't in a club and you like doing this sort of thing then join a club. Even at the full price a club could easily provide enough interested members to bring the per person cost way down.

My club is about 3/4 of the way through the larger kit and it's been a great learning experience if not just a fun group activity. Some people can't detect certain flavors or aromas while others are bloodhounds. Half the club couldn't taste Diacytel.

no BJCP member in my club. i dont think there are any in mississippi for that matter, but yeah it would be nice if i could get everyone to split the cost.

Back