Anyone ever use Oregon Fruit Purée to flavor beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluechip101

Reaction score
I going to make a 10 gal batch of Hefe tomorrow. I am planning on fermenting 5 gal of it with rasberrys for SWMBO. I usually prefer to do fresh, but I thought I would try this canned purée from Oregon Fruit Products just for ease. Has anyone else used it and how did you use it? How much did you use? How did it come out compared to fresh fruit? Thanks. Check them out here:http://www.oregonfruit.com

I used the cherry for my Cherry Wheat. I used one can (5 pounds?), it worked out pretty well. I added it in secondary, then ended up racking to tertiary before bottling.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm a n00b and interested in trying a fruit recipe one day -- specifically, using apples, and so far this is the most closely related thread I could find.

A few questions:

From what I've gathered, some don't transfer a hefe to a secondary being that they are supposed to be cloudy...? If you are adding the fruit does this necessitate adding a secondary step?

The Joy of Home Brewing book mentioned adding (whole) fruit at the end of the boil or perhaps leaving the fruit in for the primary... , Prof. Frink -- why did you add it the secondary and then transfer your cherry to a tertiary?

rabidgerbil said:
not that he is the source of all knowledge, but Jamil talks about using the stuff all the time...

I'm pretty new to the forum -- is there a thread/post you can refer me to?

I love Oregon Fruit Products. I used the Montmorency Cherries in my Spiced Cherry Dubbel. The nice thing is that they are already pasturized so less worry about contamination from the fruit.

I would never use Jamil as a way to fool you...
that would just be wrong.
The man is an excellent source of information... listen to the radio shows, they are fun, and you will learn a lot...

I've heard nothing but good things about their products and it's less hassle than pureeing and pasteurizing it all yourself. :)

Professor Frink said:
I used the cherry for my Cherry Wheat. I used one can (5 pounds?), it worked out pretty well. I added it in secondary, then ended up racking to tertiary before bottling.

did a big blueberry bock - sanitized the can and can opener dumped in secondary - racked onto it. massive secondary ferment. needed a tertiary as well. good stuff IMO if I needed fruit I'd use again.

Great...thanks for the good info. I added one 3lb can of rasberry to the primary with my Hefe. I will let you know how it turns out.

I used it to make a raspberry wheat last year. Most folks loved it but it had a little too much wine flavor for me. I let it sit a room temp for about 3 months and drank it again when I ran out of everything else. It was much better! I could definitely taste the berries and it was about 7% alcohol. I called it the pantie remover because the ladies liked it and it didn't take em long to get feeling right.

Keith

A follow-up question for those that used Oregan products -- Saw a few cans at the local grocery store but none in the 3 pound or 5 lb... Do you use really big cans, or multiple smaller cans? Is one of the smaller cans insufficient nearly 1 lb?

Please excuse my ingnorance, but what is a tertiary? I tried googling it and came up with a bunch of pages with syphilis.....I'm guessing that THAT isn't what you're talking about.

Allan

Primary, secondary, tertiary, quarternary (sp?) = 1,2,3,4 Tertiary, in this case, would indicate the 3rd fermentor. Not sure, but I think it dates back to orbits of electrons... or that's how I remember it.

Has anyone tried adding this in the keg or in the bottling bucket? A friend of mine uses it sometimes and says that he usually adds it when he kegs. Would this cause any potential issues?

cblack85 said:
Has anyone tried adding this in the keg or in the bottling bucket? A friend of mine uses it sometimes and says that he usually adds it when he kegs. Would this cause any potential issues?

He's adding the flavoring, not the actual fruit purée. The beer needs to sit on the purée for at least a week, preferably 2. The flavoring syrups taste like cough syrup to me. The purée tastes like fruit.

Back