Anyone ever tried wormwood in their beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadeux

Reaction score
I saw in my brew shop catalog that I can buy an oz of wormwood for around 2 bucks. I was thinking of trying it out in a beer. Lord knows absinthe is fun, why not add some thujone to beer? Just wondering what type of beer people would recommend using it in.

the thujone is alcohol soluable, but it needs a much higher concentration than beer provides to actually get any in your homebrew. I've used wormwood once in a beer and I warn anyone that is thinking of using it; it is VERY bitter, think like, use 1/20 of what you would use for bittering with even the highest IBU producing hop.

Anyone ever tried wormwood in their beer?

No actually that's a brand new thought. Damn sure I wished I'd thought of it. :D

As above, not enough alcohol to release the thujone and it's bitter as hell. Not absinthe anise tasting, but earthy bitter.

i dont know anything about wormwood but i was in my lhbs yesterday and this guy was takning about makeing this ultra hopped beer that he puts wormwood in the boil for 60 minutes. he says "it makes you trip a little but it might just be a placebo or the high alcohol content, but i think its cool"

any thoughts on this?

i dont know anything about wormwood but i was in my lhbs yesterday and this guy was takning about makeing this ultra hopped beer that he puts wormwood in the boil for 60 minutes. he says "it makes you trip a little but it might just be a placebo or the high alcohol content, but i think its cool"

any thoughts on this?

He's full of ****. Yes, wormwood is bitter.

Back