Anyone ever taste your wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, fairly common. Good brewers who make the same beer a lot tend to be able to figure out how the beer is doing by tasting at each step in the process. Wort doesn't taste great but hey people drink Malta all the time.

Wheew! When I was transferring to the secondary the wife looked at all of the trub and then looked to me and said "you won't" as she looked back into the bucket. Well... Needless to say, I did.

It tasted almost like a slightly bitter chocolate. Wasn't great but it was good

ahaley said:
Wheew! When I was transferring to the secondary the wife looked at all of the trub and then looked to me and said "you won't" as she looked back into the bucket. Well... Needless to say, I did.

It tasted almost like a slightly bitter chocolate. Wasn't great but it was good

Primary dregs is not wort.

...........Hope your health insurance is paid-up!

I usually pour my gravity samples back in, I take 3 samples and average them, but the trub didn't taste too bad lol and wort tasted like flat beer

I always taste my wort. You have an early indication if it is contaminated and how it is going to taste. My experience if it taste like crap here then it won't taste much better carbed.

Now I don't feel like I was doing something odd! Hbt sure knows how to make newbs feel at home

I taste the grain, the wort pre boil, post boil, pre carb, and obviously the tastes keep coming after carb!

kh54s10 said:
Make sure you are fanatical about your sanitation. This is an excellent way to infect your beer!

That's one thing im OCD about is sanitizing, and if my last batch got infected, then it was a great infectious beer! ;)

shelly_belly said:
One of life's little pleasures, unknown to the non-homebrewing world.

I'm glad I got into brewing, it's such a great activity, relaxes me, passes time, the wife gets to be a scientist on brew day, I like to think it brings families closer :)

ahaley said:
I'm glad I got into brewing, it's such a great activity, relaxes me, passes time, the wife gets to be a scientist on brew day, I like to think it brings families closer :)

Nothing better than brewing home brew, while enjoying a home brew and a fine cigar. What a great way to spend an afternoon.

Rarely. I smell the hell out of it though!

I will always sample the hydro sample after primary though.

I don't think I could evaluate the beer until the yeast have had a chance to do their thing. The yeast are so important to the final product.

Homercidal said:
I don't think I could evaluate the beer until the yeast have had a chance to do their thing. The yeast are so important to the final product.

To me it's more about comparing early tastes to how things usually taste at that point so that if things go wrong you can better identify the source of the problem or potentially even correct them before it's too late. Also, the more you do it the more you can identify what earlier steps should taste like given your final goal.

Back