Quantcast

Anyone ever taste your wort?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Erroneous

Reaction score
Nope, fairly common. Good brewers who make the same beer a lot tend to be able to figure out how the beer is doing by tasting at each step in the process. Wort doesn't taste great but hey people drink Malta all the time.

OP
ahaley

ahaley

Reaction score
Wheew! When I was transferring to the secondary the wife looked at all of the trub and then looked to me and said "you won't" as she looked back into the bucket. Well... Needless to say, I did.

It tasted almost like a slightly bitter chocolate. Wasn't great but it was good

Brewskii

Reaction score
ahaley said:
Wheew! When I was transferring to the secondary the wife looked at all of the trub and then looked to me and said "you won't" as she looked back into the bucket. Well... Needless to say, I did.

It tasted almost like a slightly bitter chocolate. Wasn't great but it was good
Primary dregs is not wort.

...........Hope your health insurance is paid-up!

OP
ahaley

ahaley

Reaction score
I usually pour my gravity samples back in, I take 3 samples and average them, but the trub didn't taste too bad lol and wort tasted like flat beer

kvess

Reaction score
I always taste my wort. You have an early indication if it is contaminated and how it is going to taste. My experience if it taste like crap here then it won't taste much better carbed.

OP
ahaley

ahaley

Reaction score
Now I don't feel like I was doing something odd! Hbt sure knows how to make newbs feel at home

jsmcclure

Reaction score
Every gravity check is an opportunity to taste, not to be missed.

TwoGunz

Reaction score
I taste the grain, the wort pre boil, post boil, pre carb, and obviously the tastes keep coming after carb!

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually pour my gravity samples back in, I take 3 samples and average them, but the trub didn't taste too bad lol and wort tasted like flat beer
Make sure you are fanatical about your sanitation. This is an excellent way to infect your beer!

OP
ahaley

ahaley

Reaction score
kh54s10 said:
Make sure you are fanatical about your sanitation. This is an excellent way to infect your beer!
That's one thing im OCD about is sanitizing, and if my last batch got infected, then it was a great infectious beer! ;)

OP
ahaley

ahaley

Reaction score
shelly_belly said:
One of life's little pleasures, unknown to the non-homebrewing world.
I'm glad I got into brewing, it's such a great activity, relaxes me, passes time, the wife gets to be a scientist on brew day, I like to think it brings families closer :)

BREW-K

Reaction score
ahaley said:
I'm glad I got into brewing, it's such a great activity, relaxes me, passes time, the wife gets to be a scientist on brew day, I like to think it brings families closer :)
Nothing better than brewing home brew, while enjoying a home brew and a fine cigar. What a great way to spend an afternoon.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Rarely. I smell the hell out of it though!

I will always sample the hydro sample after primary though.

I don't think I could evaluate the beer until the yeast have had a chance to do their thing. The yeast are so important to the final product.

TwoGunz

Reaction score
Homercidal said:
I don't think I could evaluate the beer until the yeast have had a chance to do their thing. The yeast are so important to the final product.
To me it's more about comparing early tastes to how things usually taste at that point so that if things go wrong you can better identify the source of the problem or potentially even correct them before it's too late. Also, the more you do it the more you can identify what earlier steps should taste like given your final goal.

kvess

Reaction score
I really like taste testing after its carbed :D