anyone ever heard of tasting wort killing tastebuds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possible, but not likely. Also, taste buds do grow back. I've run across many IPAs that trashed my palette for the day.

Possible, but not likely. Also, taste buds do grow back. I've run across many IPAs that trashed my palette for the day.

en it didn't really kill them just wacked out their chemical balances and hence their signals to your brain...... i know cause arcadia's hopmouth does it to me:drunk:

If wort killed your taste buds, I imagine beer would be 10x worse. The only main difference (not counting the esters and whatnot) is your exchanging maltose for alcohol and carbon dioxide. I imagine the alcohol and carbon dioxide would be more harmful to your taste buds than the maltose would be.

en it didn't really kill them just wacked out their chemical balances and hence their signals to your brain...... i know cause arcadia's hopmouth does it to me:drunk:

+1 on this eplanation, ANY food alters your tastebuds. Thats why if you do a taste test(a true scientific one) they are gonna have you eat a cracker, sample eat a cracker, then sample the competition. Its widely know that oyster crackers are one of the best. Something about the reset your tastebuds. I dont know the science behind it though. i think wine drinkers do this.

My wort took one look at me, pulled a 9 mm, pointed it at my tongue. Said, "Taste me. I dare ya to, I triple hops dare ya.":rockin:

I called that one the Hardcore Gangstas Mash

OK so this is what happened. Keep in mind that I'm very new to brewing. Yesterday I was brewing my second batch after I mixed the wort into the fermenter I took a sample for my hydrometer test. Afterwards I drank the sample. Then last night (approx 8 hours later) I'm out at a club and I drink a shot of patron. With in minutes I can feel the taste buds in the center of my tongue literally flake off. Now I drink teq all the time and this has never happened before. When I get home it seems that there is a chemical burn or ulceration where the wort landed on my palate earlier. The buds have already started to grow back but this whole experience was very weird and i could find nothing about such a reaction on the internet. I then thought maybe it was a reaction to the sanitizer but it seems like that is not possible either. I just hope my brew isn't toxic. lol

I remember as a kid I had all the skin on the inside of my mouth die and slough off due to eating way too many atomic warheads sour candies...

Back