Anyone ever have a stuck crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What a PITA! I condition my grain. It's been going quite well until the last 2 brews. A few weeks ago, I wet the grain and got side tracked and it sat for 30 minutes or so. I usually let it sit for 10 minutes. The crush got stuck once and my efficiency went from 70+% to 59%. Looked like the grain got squeezed instead of crushed. Today we did the same thing. Let it sit for 25 minutes. I adjusted my gap from .039 to .035... My mill gummed up something fierce. Had to stop and clean it about 10-12 times! Didn't feel to wet but maybe it was. Anyone else have this problemo?

I have not had that kind of problem when conditioning the malt. Sound like you may be using too much water. How much did you use? I've let the wetted malt sit overnight without problems. I prefer to do it that way most of the time. The water should be about 2% of the weight of the grain. I usually go with 3%, but no more than that. Ten lbs of malt would require about 3 oz of water at the 2% rate.

What a PITA! I condition my grain. It's been going quite well until the last 2 brews. A few weeks ago, I wet the grain and got side tracked and it sat for 30 minutes or so. I usually let it sit for 10 minutes. The crush got stuck once and my efficiency went from 70+% to 59%. Looked like the grain got squeezed instead of crushed. Today we did the same thing. Let it sit for 25 minutes. I adjusted my gap from .039 to .035... My mill gummed up something fierce. Had to stop and clean it about 10-12 times! Didn't feel to wet but maybe it was. Anyone else have this problemo?

Your method does seem a bit unusual. Check here

Back