Anyone ever disgorge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got my champagne corker last week and bottled up my batch of wine. I've been capping some beer off into champagne bottles and figured since I had belgian corks and cages on hand I'd give it a shot. I had sort of planned this for a little while. I had started the riddling process a few weeks ago with plans of giving it a shot. After bottling up all the wine I stuck the beer bottles in the freezer to get the necks frozen. Once I could see ice formation in the neck I took them to my sink popped the cap off which spit out the yeast sediment and then I corked them. The first one I sucked at and now looks like a short fill bottle. The second one I was much better with the process. I was thinking I could age some beers with yeast for a while then disgorge and cork. I think the trick would be to slightly over fill the bottle closer to the neck so you have a proper amount left after disgorging. Then again I could just need more practice.

Jaylow

Reaction score
Ever try disgorging with a swing-top bottle? I do it all the time. No need to freeze anything. Just store the bottle upside down after filling. When ready to drink, hold the bottle top over a sink with the lever side down, press on the hinges gently but firmly until the bottle opens just a crack for a second, and the sediment will be ejected from the bottle. Close the bottle up again and you have clear beer all the way. Try it!

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ever try disgorging with a swing-top bottle? I do it all the time. No need to freeze anything. Just store the bottle upside down after filling. When ready to drink, hold the bottle top over a sink with the lever side down, press on the hinges gently but firmly until the bottle opens just a crack for a second, and the sediment will be ejected from the bottle. Close the bottle up again and you have clear beer all the way. Try it!

so like a conical for beer bottles?

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Discorge? Thou we were talking about drinking too much and forcing a throw up lol

MY UNDERSTANDING OF THIS, IS IT'S A TECHNIQUE FOR DRINKING HOMEBREW OUT OF THE BOTTLE?

(sorry for the caps, didn't know my caps key was set, and didn't want to retype the whole line. so i decided to type this instead... 🤔 :mug:)