Anyone ever brew with bergamot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommish

Reaction score
I have the urge for several years now to try to make sort of an Earl Grey IPA by putting bergamot in the brew. Since it is an oil I figured it would be okay in the boil (ooo, I really wasn't trying to rhyme :eek: ) and might cause problems if added into the secondary.

If someone has tried anything like this before I would love to know how much to use...

I have never used bergamot in a brew, but I do know some things about it. The flavour comes from the peel of the Bergamot Orange, not to be confused with the other kind of bergamot, which is related to mint. It was sometimes used in beers in the middle ages (gruits), and I know right now it's used in a Belgian called Koyt. The flavour is a volatile oil, so it should be added at the end of the boil, or during secondary. As for how much to add, though, I have no idea. I would recommend just looking at how much orange or lemon people use, because they're so closely related.

Judd said:
As for how much to add, though, I have no idea. I would recommend just looking at how much orange or lemon people use, because they're so closely related.
I was reading Radical Brewing last night, and IIRC for five gallon batches Randy Mosher suggests adding the zest of one seville orange (as seville oranges are pretty potent), or two ordinary oranges. I don't know how strong bergamot oranges are, but I'd always aim a little under to avoid overpowering the brew altogether - so the peel of one orange should do for a start. With fruit peel, it's very important just to add the zest, and to try to avoid adding the white pith underneath. I think adding at the end of the boil would be best.

I'd love to hear how this turns out.

I just finished my nightmare wheat brew about an hour ago. I used the zest of two oranges, and the smell is fantastic but not overpowering. The zest went in at 5 minutes before flameout.

I brewed Randy's wheat last weekend. I used the zest of 2 oranges, and some coriander I crushed in my coffee grinder. I will post in a few weeks what it tastes like. It tasted good a few days ago when I used the hydrometer.

Back