Anyone Ever Added Black Peppercorn to a Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No...this is not similar to the other "pepper" threads asking about serrano, jalapeno or habenero chilis in pepper beer. :D

This is specific to the addition of black pepper to beers. Is this done with Belgian style beers.

Has anyone tried to add black pepper to a secondary?

If coriander lends a nice crisp spiciness to a wit, why not black pepper?

Anyone? Beuller?

Brewers Art in baltimore makes a green peppercorn tripel... havent tried it yet but heard its good. not sure when they add the peppercorns either. what are you planning on adding it to?

I heard some mention somehwere in the last two weeks...damn I can't recall exactly where. It might have been on one of the more recent basicbrewing radio podcasts.

Sorry I know it's little help...but just to let you know it's being done...

I added cracked black peppercorns to my last Belgian Style Wit. I got the idea after trying a St. Bernardus Wit which to me has a very pronounced black pepper taste. I only added 1/2 oz. at flame out and didn't detect it much in the finished beer. I will definitely up the pepper next time as I really liked the black pepper spiciness of the St. Bernardus.

I did it recently in a holiday lager. I coursely cracked it and added it in the last 15 mins. of the boil. I got the idea from Two Brother's Incinerator Blonde Dopplebock I had.

My holiday lager was fantastic on it's own, but I can't say it had any distinct pepper flavor or aroma. I can't recall how much I added. I'll have to check my notes when I get home. When I brew it again, I'll either add a lot more pepper or maybe just add it into secondary. Or both.

Black pepper is also mentioned in Radical Brewing as a possible ingredient to use when making a rye beer to add a little more bite.

nealmc said:
Black pepper is also mentioned in Radical Brewing as a possible ingredient to use when making a rye beer to add a little more bite.

I have that Rye Pale Ale in progress just now.

Seasoning was 3.75HBU (60) Fuggles, 7.5HBU (30) Challenger, 7.5HBU (5) Challenger and 0.25 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper at flameout.

Grain was 1.5# malted rye, 1# pale crystal and 0.5# malted wheat (EDIT: might have been four ozs malted wheat.) on 8# of base malt. Three step mash, 90/30-122/30-145/90, I hear rye is finicky. (EDIT: Also a heap of rice hulls, abotu 4ozs IIRC)

The hydro samples have been awesome, I am looking forward to serving this one.

nealmc said:

It's discussed in Extreme Brewing also. I would tell you what it says about it, but I tend not to bring brewing books to work with me...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Here goes.

From Radical Brewing:
"Pepper, Black- (Piper Nigum) Adds depth and complexity to beer, especially dark ones. Enhances other flavors. Use in small quantities, less than a teaspoon per 5 gallon batch."

From Extreme Brewing:
Recipe for "Peppercorn Rye Bock" includes 1 teaspoon (2g) milled black peppercorns and 1 teaspoon (2g) milled green peppercorns; both of which are added at the end of the boil, stirred for 2 minutes, and left to sit 10 minutes before cooling the wort.

Considering how disappointed I've been with Extreme Brewing overall, I would take its instructions with a grain of salt.
Hope that helps.

-Biber

Back