Anyone enter the National homebrew competition yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still waiting to hear... this was my first attempt at entering the NHC. if it's going to be this difficult. it'll be my last.

still waiting to hear... this was my first attempt at entering the NHC. if it's going to be this difficult. it'll be my last.

This is my first year as well. Did you select multiple judging locations or only one?

philly primary, nyc as an alternate.

Maybe you can go in and add more locations? I put Chicago as my primary (which I ended up getting) but I also listed every other location as an alternate - except for the 3 locations on the west coast

Saw this on the AHA site:

"Thanks for your question, cytorunner.
If you haven't received the confirmation e-mail telling you how to login to the 2016 National Homebrew Competition (NHC), rest assured that we are still trying to get all applicants into the competition. Everyone who applied during the week of February 1-7, will have communication from the AHA by February 17th. Thanks for your patience.
Cheers,
John"

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25901.0

I think it will get straightened out early this week. They may be trying to deal with some sites that were undercooked vs. those that were overbooked.

And, if you think the process is "difficult" now...... you should have been entering a couple years ago when you literally had to be sitting at your computer, at work, ready to enter when it opened up..... make sure nothing froze or crashed on your computer, and get your entries in within minutes to ensure you got anything entered.

The current process, in regard to difficulty, is light years ahead of where it was 3-4 years ago.

And, if you think the process is "difficult" now...... you should have been entering a couple years ago when you literally had to be sitting at your computer, at work, ready to enter when it opened up..... make sure nothing froze or crashed on your computer, and get your entries in within minutes to ensure you got anything entered.

The current process, in regard to difficulty, is light years ahead of where it was 3-4 years ago.

thanks. i know it used to be way worse...which is why i never entered before.

so...can you not edit entries once you have paid for them? I paid earlier to get it done but did not have the time to put in all of the details. anyone else having this problem?

Has anyone from Philly heard if they've been accepted? I too applied to Philly with multiple alternative sites.

Nothing really. When I was originally putting them in, it had editable fields for all the recipe specifications so I thought I would fill all of that out.

As far as I can tell, the only info required (other than personal information) is co-brewer if applicable, name of brew, and BJCP style of brew. All of these things can be changed up until label printing and shipment.

Interesting, I was contacted on 2/12 for payment. I have 5 entries going to the MPLS/St Paul judging center. I imagine they are just rolling out the emails in waves.

I got accepted for two in Philly.

You may need to fill out the Notes field depending upon Style selected. Such as;

24A: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer (BJCP style 30A)
you need to state Base Style and and specialty nature of your beer
an example would be - American Stout, Coffee

17C Specialty IPA: Entrant must specify a strength (session, standard, double), and must specify specific type of Specialty IPA (can mix styles)
Example - Double, Black Rye IPA

Happy Brewing Everybody

I got in for 3 beers this year. Received the email on the 9th. I hope all you who registered get in too. cheers!

Well for those who got in, what are you submitting? I've got a rye saison, kbs clone, esb, and an american barleywine. Two of which are still in carboys. I have a northeast ipa Still in primary that I might substitute one for depending on how it turns out although, I don't know how the murkyness of the style will be precieved by judges...

Just got my confirmation! Think I'm submitting a fruited sour and a melomel that have both medaled in other comps, then maybe a quad as the third.

Interesting, when did you find out? I'm still holding out hope to get a few entries in.

I found out February 9th that I got accepted for 5 entries to St. Paul. Philly was my first choice since I could have driven there to drop off my entries kind of bummed I didn't get Philly, but oh well.

Well for those who got in, what are you submitting?

An imperial stout with Godiva coffee, BBA Imperial Stout (same base beer in both), some sort of Scots ale (probably an 80/-), an IPA, and a DIPA. 3 of them are getting brewed this weekend. ~2 gallon batches for the 3 that haven't been brewed.

Should have quite a few to choose from..... Helles, Dortmunder and Czech Dark Lager are all pretty good. Scottish 70, Dark Mild, Blonde are all in the keg. I have an Ordinary bitter in the fermenter... So, most likely, my 5 will be coming from those 7. Porter is an outside possibility, but don't know if it is quite good enough. Have a czech pale lager... but that just has not really come around like I hoped so far - still time though and another couple weeks of lagering may help.

As of right now I'm thinking Witbier, Dry Stout, Brett B Red, Oat Dark Mild (entered as regular Dark Mild), and a tossup between the Bramling Cross Best Bitter and the WGV Ordinary Bitter. Other possibilities, Belgian Blond, Honey Porter, Gruit, Irish Red, Quad.

Eh, if you're brewing a Scottish Ale or either of the IPAs, 22 days is plenty of time, plus peak freshness.

Unless he's driving entries somewhere, it's going to be extremely tight to get them carbed, bottled, and shipped....

My IPA and IPA variants that have advanced to final round (and medalled in final round) were brewed 2+ months before the deadline. Then again, I bottle condition all my comp beers and at least like to have a taste before I ship.

But what do I know. ;)

Bottle carbing, absolutely. But force carbed, that's a week primary for the Scottish Ale, force carb, bottle, ready to go. within ~10 days. Add 5 days dry hopping for the IPA. Still time to ship.

I am sure it can be done, just a little tight for my comfort. I have an IPA, Saison and GF Saison that I brewed on Feb 8/9 that I am nervous will be pushing it.

My IPA and IPA variants that have advanced to final round (and medalled in final round) were brewed 2+ months before the deadline. Then again, I bottle condition all my comp beers and at least like to have a taste before I ship.

So why do you bottle condition your competition beers?

Were the beers entered into the final rounds the same beers that were entered in the preliminary round?

For the posters that got in Feb 9th, did you by chance judge or steward last year?. No email on my end yet so my chances are looking slim to none.

Back