Anyone else watching Black Sails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
Original series on Starz. I liked it so much we added it to our cable package.

Show about pirates, very well done IMO. Lots of gratuitous T&A and language, so not for when the young kids are around.

Love this show....

I think the pirate show could be good too, as long as it's graphic and realistic.

Graphic? Yes.

Realistic? I suppose it's up to the viewer if he finds it realistic or not. I did not. The dialogue is occasionally peppered with modern slang - which kills it for me.

Ah. I dont' mind modern dialogue to a degree. Nobody in this ear would be able to understand them if they used actual terminology and accents from the time.

I thought Vikings did a good job of conveying what Historians believe life was like back in that time, but with a story to go along with it. Good production value.

The only problem so far was when they made a shield wall on a beach to defeat some Englishmen blocking the path to their ship. And not ONE of the Englishmen tried walking AROUND the shield wall to attack from the sides or back, even though they were WIDE OPEN ON A BEACH! A shield wall is most effective when the enemy is forced to engage where the wall actually is...

I watch both shows and like them a lot. Viking could be better if it was on hbo or a network like that. my wife is totally lost on some of the story lines in Black Sails but she likes it.

The story lines and surroundings veer so much from historical content of that period that, after two episodes last season, I stopped watching the series. Lots of T&A, blood and guts but not enough to hold my interest.

Back