anyone else rip their bag on their keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
I was pulling my wilser brew bag out of my keggle to hang it & it caught on a jagged edge. ugh.
****to be clear, this was my fault having jagged edges on my keggle, NO FAULT of the bag or it's quality. Wilser's brew bags are of excellent quality.***

maybe once I clean it & check the damage, maybe I can salvage it for smaller batches. any other ideas? anyone else rip/tear their bag & repurpose it in another way?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got hung up once when I was much younger. I had to out run a bull to get to a fishing hole and didn't recon the precise placement of the barbed wire fence. No harm done long term.

I was pulling my wilser brew bag out of my keggle to hang it & it caught on a jagged edge. ugh. maybe once I clean it & check the damage, maybe I can salvage it for smaller batches. any other ideas? anyone else rip/tear their bag & repurpose it in another way?

Send it back to the factory, we can repair it no charge. J/k really no factory. :)

While I'm doing the repair, snip the entire top off that keggle and make life easy.

Please PM me for the address.

Thanks,
Wilser

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

will do. thanks a lot.

he's going to fix mine also. I agree with the good customer service comment.

Never ripped one but I have melted a few nylon bags to the bottom of my mash tun.

While I am happy to help out and repair a bag or two, I must point out that anyone tearing or burning a polyester voile bag is doing something WRONG!

These bags are very tough, and you pretty much have to try hard to make one fail IME.

Tips for BIAB bag use and care.

1. Be sure there are no sharp edges on your cut keggle, slicing an arm would be way worse than slicing a bag.
2. A temp probe should not cause a problem during careful use. Be conscious that it is there, stir in a direction away from the probe. When removing the bag, simply remove the bag on the far side of the kettle from the probe, move the bag with your spoon to direct it away from the probe. If you think it may be caught, try again...there is no urgency, don't just keep yanking and tugging on the bag!
3. In an ideal world, as stated above, you should not need to fire the burner while the bag is in the pot IMHO. However, if a small temp adjustment is needed, use a low flame and STIR constantly while adding heat. Any mash should be constantly stirred if heating t avoid scorching, especially BIAB.
4. I don't advocate putting a BIAB bag in the washing machine, sure lots of folks love doing this, but IMHO it really isn't needed, and could stress the bag if it gets wrapped up in the washer. A simple hot water rinse after use is all you need. It's used in the mash, a mash is not sanitary! Reasonably clean and your good to go.

That's all I got folks....thanks for your support!
wilser

the bag has been repaired & it's on it's way back in the mail.

••••my initial post was edited to make it clear, the damage caused was my fault. Wilser sells excellent quality products. I highly recommend his products! happy brewing.

Back