Anyone else love redhook ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
Man I just got my second case of this stuff, gotta find a clone recipe for it because it is amazing. Just thought I would share, see if anyone else loves it and if anyone has any idea on a recipe.

Check out the wiki. In the section Commercial Beers under ingredients I listed everything that Red Hook lists about that beer. From that info you could probably build a decent clone.

Redhook ESB clone is in the BYO 150 Clones magazine, I definitely recommend picking it up. They give AG and extract recipes too.

I recently bought a Red Hook 12 pack with 4 different beers. The first was a Blonde Ale, which was my least favorite of the lot. Not really anything special, rather bland, even for a blonde ale. The second was their WinterHook. This one was very tasty, excellent flavor, and aroma. Nice for a winter beer, especially as it contains no spices or anything else to detract from the malt and hops taste. Then on to the ESB, which was a nice balance of malt and just the right amount of hops for sure. Definately a new favorite for me. The last was their IPA, which I loved as well. You definatey tastes the hops, but it didnt over whelm the malts.

And now, Im finishing off my last ESB tonight...:(

I've been a Redhook ESB fan for a while... Great stuff!!! The brewery is about a 45min drive from my place, although I haven't been in while, it's nice!

I think the Blonde makes a pretty good 'hot summer day' beer, IMO!!!

:mug:

Yeah, the winterhook is another one of my favs, to bad its gone now :(

I'll second the BYO clone recipe issue recommendation. Great stuff. I like the RH ESB and it's readily available locally. If you like the RH though, try the Fullers. I did and then brewed its clone also featured in the same issue. I (and my buddies) liked it so much, I just brewed another batch of it.

Anybody else see the Rachel Ray show from a few years ago where she toured the Red Hook brewery? Pretty fair thumbnail sketch of brewery operation.

I have an extract recipe for Redhook ESB around here somewhere- I'll try to dig it up if you're interested. I might have posted it somewhere on the forum already.

I don't care for Redhook ESB or any of their beers for that matter. I just tried it again a couple days ago and still was not pleased. I also tried their Longhammer IPA and though it was ok, I have had way better IPA's. I have also been to the brewery for lunch, had a few ok beers but awful service and terrible food. With such a great selection of great microbrews in the Seattle area I would never pay for anything brewed by Redhook. Their beers are mediocre at best. Thumbs down for me.

Redhook's brewery is in my backyard, less than 2 miles from my house. It pains me to say that I dont really like any of the beers and the food is mediocre at best.

I used to love the IPA, then they changed it to this new Longhammer IPA which isn't as good. (has this weird soapy taste). Then they used to make Chinook Copper Ale, which was year round and good, they then changed the recipe and renamed it CopperHook, a seasonal beer, which isn't as good and only available 3 months of the year. ESB? I find it far too malty.

The place has a great atmosphere, a big fireplace with comfy couches, a nice patio in the summer for splitting that pitcher of blonde with SWMBO, its really too bad the product is all lackluster.

They don't even have their porter on nitro anymore.

I really like their IPA and havn't come across this Longhammer yet, I am a little dissapointed in what I am hearing though. I really like redhooks brews, and you can reuse their bottles and it comes it 12 packs so I also reuse their boxes.

Redhook's brewery is in my backyard, less than 2 miles from my house. It pains me to say that I dont really like any of the beers and the food is mediocre at best.

I used to love the IPA, then they changed it to this new Longhammer IPA which isn't as good. (has this weird soapy taste). Then they used to make Chinook Copper Ale, which was year round and good, they then changed the recipe and renamed it CopperHook, a seasonal beer, which isn't as good and only available 3 months of the year. ESB? I find it far too malty.

The place has a great atmosphere, a big fireplace with comfy couches, a nice patio in the summer for splitting that pitcher of blonde with SWMBO, its really too bad the product is all lackluster.

They don't even have their porter on nitro anymore.

I have to agree with Rook. Not a fan of Red Hook. They're beers are clean enough but just boring to me. They have dumbed down a lot of their recipes from what they used to be. None of the really good beer bars in Seattle will pour Red Hook.

Back