Anyone else here keep an aquarium?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
We were gifted with multiple tanks and a few fish a while back. The fish are African Cichlids, from lake Malawi. Labidochromis caeruleus (Lion's Cove I) I finally got the 55 gallon tank repaired and set up.

These fish are the most reclusive I’ve ever had. They spend all day digging holes to hide in and tunnel systems through the rocks. If I rearrange their furniture they devise other hiding places. The only time I ever see them swimming around the tank is early in the morning just as I switch on their lights. I am considering trading them in if I can.

The most action I have seen was when they were in the kitchen tank and I was shucking corn. I’d drop any worms I found into the tank and watch the brawl.

They were in the 75 gallon tank when we got them. That tank started out as a salt water set up. Which I am not going to try because I don’t have the time to fuss with it.

At this point I like my youngest son’s tank it just has bright little fish that you can watch swimming about. I might try goldfish in the big tank. I’ve got to figure out that filter system first though. I don’t know if I can use that type of system for fresh water but I don’t see why not.

Jennifer

Get a couple similar sized oscars. They can defend themselves against the aggresive cichlids and are always checking you out through the glass.They get pretty good size and feeding them live (feeder) gold fish is fun to watch.

The Oscars are fresh water and these things live in a semi-salty tank with super hard water. They have a few things that can live with them, there is a pretty blue one that I can't remember the name of.

Maybe you'll be reading about them on the food pairing thread...

Jennifer

I keep a 75 gallon salt water tank... in my storage shed. :cross:

I kept it as a reef tank for years until we had kids... then, for some reason, I just couldn't find the time to keep on top of it...

I have four or five tanks of various sizes. None are in use.

Gardening and fishkeeping are not specialties of mine.

If anyone in MD/VA/DC needs aquarium stuff, send me a PM.

I used to have a large +- 500 g pond. We sold that house had kids and haven't gotten back into it but we would like to. Last year the wife and kids got 2 goldfish at the fair. 1 is still alive despite almost constant lack of any sort of attention/care or maintenance.

I've had some tanks in the past and I really love keeping fish but I was never any good at it. Way too many of them ended up getting flushed. :drunk:

It seems to me the cichlids don't get along very well. They are an aggressive species. I've opted over the years for Silver Dollars and other types of Tetras, instead. A couple of algae-eating type fish like plecostomos help keep things clean. Peace, love and harmony in the tank. No nipping at fins or chasing and stressing others out.

I have a 90 gal octagon fresh H20 That I have a 10 year old fresh water dolphin and an upside down cat in ya ya ya I know what a waste of space... Honestly I am just waitin for them to die so I can get rid of it
JJ

Back