Anyone else have trouble with WLP005?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I made a (small) starter for White Labs WLP005 British Ale 2 days prior, pitched it 10 days ago into my nut brown ale, and gravity is sticking for the last 4 days at 1.025. It's been in the primary the entire time, fermenting temp is 69°, should be perfect for a good fermentation.

White Labs site mentions that you might have to rouse your carboy a few times because of the high flocculation.....I've gently roused the fermenter a couple times over the last few days. Last night I got pissed and shook the hell out of it. Still no bubbles, but the lid of the fermenter is raised slightly so SOME CO2 is still being produced....

I've never had trouble with any yeast like with this one. Anyone else have difficulties with it?

mr x said:
What was your O.G. and your mash temp?
Unfortunately I busted my hydrometer the day I brewed it. I taped it up but got a funny reading (1.061) when it should have been around 1.048 so I don't put any stock in it. Even if it was right and the yeast only attenuates at 67% I should still be at or below 1.020.....

Mash temp was 156° with a fair amount of crystal malts so there should be a lot of unfermentables, but I'm thinking there's no way 1.024 is the FG.....

TexLaw said:
It is a highly flocculant yeast, so you need to treat it right, spur it on, and give it time. You are doing what you need to do.

TL

Thanks for the reassurance--I'm trying to be patient, I've just never used any yeast as stubborn as this strain....

I have had trouble getting my desired attenuation from this yeast. Even after rousing the yeast a couple times I am only able to get the minimum attenuation they advertise.

Back