Anyone else discover beer and forget everything else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titan88

Creator of MashLab Brewing Software
Reaction score
I used to drink scotch like a madman! I'd go through a handle of Johnnie Walker every other day. BUT, when I disovered good beer, I dropped liquor altogether. Anyone else discover good beer and become obsessed like me? I prefer to drink beer when I go out. All of my friends are pounding shots and mixed drinks to get drunk and I'm going slow and steady with a great beer!

Yes, I discovered great beer. I used to run through an 18 pack of Natural Light. Now I prefer a few pints of good craft beer.

Yep...used to drink a lot of white liquor, plus Mr. Dewars and I were really good friends...but now I only have a sip or two of Dewars on Christmas Eve in honor of my Pops, and a very occasional Grey Goose Martini...but primarily just craft beer, and most of that is homebrew.

No...I still mix it up pretty good. No telling what might strike my fancy at any given time. That said, I do tend to check the beer selection first but if nothing stands out then I may partake of hard liquor, or not.

Yep...used to drink a lot of white liquor, plus Mr. Dewars and I were really good friends...but now I only have a sip or two of Dewars on Christmas Eve in honor of my Pops, and a very occasional Grey Goose Martini...but primarily just craft beer, and most of that is homebrew.

I agree. My wife got me a bottle of gold label last year. In holiday situations, I might partake. Now I'm the craft beer voice of reason for my friends.

Ya I never even think about buying spirits anymore, and I HATE mixed drinks, they make my stomach hurt, though I wouldn't mind a nice martini once a year maybe.

I originally drank mostly mixed drinks/shots and Woodchuck hard cider and I did NOT like beer at all. I think It was because all I was exposed to was PBR and BMC (beer pong filler)
I started trying decent beers, then my brother got me a homebrew kit for Christmas (not Mr Beer, which I what I got him for the same Christmas)
Now that I drink great/excellent beer, I'm also drinking better liquor. No more SoCo + Mt Dew, now it's room temperature Scotch :)

Beer usually, wine often, liquor sometimes.

With cider and others showing up.

A well-rounded drinking regimen keeps the mind and palate limber!

Never drank much beer at all, except on a hot day fishing or out of red plastic cups at parties. Never really liked the taste of it because all I knew was BMC. Now I love good ale. I have me 1 or 2 every night.

I don't drink much liquor, except around the holidays I do like a dirty vodka martini.

If I "discover" enough beer, I tend to forget everything. Including the beer :drunk:

In all seriousness, I drink pretty much what I've always drank. Beer and whiskey, namely Irish Whiskey and Scotch. I'll drink other things on occasion, but those are it 95% of the time.

Part of the reason I don't drink mixed drinks anymore is because I don't drink soda. I will admit, the first time I tried Old Rasputin, I poured the entire four pack down the drain. I'm ashamed now. It's my favorite stout now. I just feel like I enjoy beer way more. Liquor just doesnt hold a candle to beer anymore.

Not really. I still drink quite a bit of bourbon (stereotypes, right?), some wine, and the occasional rum or tequila drink.

Not really. I still drink quite a bit of bourbon (stereotypes, right?), some wine, and the occasional rum or tequila drink.

I did forget about good ole vino. I am really trying to get into it by making it

Craft beer > Bourbon > meh

I love me some craft beer, but a nice glass of bourbon is hard to compare anything to. Depends on my mood and my wallet ;)

Used to drink a 12 pack of coors on a party night...now I drink 2-3 craft or home brews and am good. (Lesson learned real quick when playing a drinking game with craft brew....hangover from hell. Craft brew does not have enough water ;)

Never really drank much mixed stuff, but I have gotten into the peach pie shine ect...made with the fake shine (aka everclear). That stuff tastes delish, but I wish stills were legal so I could make some myself! I'm too afraid of uncle sam to risk it, lol. Anyhow, if I make it, I drink it. Other than an occassional vodka for vanilla beans or cinnamin sticks, the ABV store doesn't see me much anymore.

Back