Anyone drill kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of thoughts:

Can't tell what kind of drill bit is provided. You really want a decent step bit like this one.

Second, the plumbed-in thermometer seems like a good idea, but they are generally more of a pain than it's worth. With a bag in there, you'll be battling with the probe a bit to avoid it poking things.

Finally, there's no pickup tube to drain the kettle more thoroughly. Not a huge deal, since you can just tip the kettle at the end. But since it's a "kit" that's one more thing you might want to add on top of it all.

I'd install just a ball valve at the bottom with a pickup tube inside.

Couple of thoughts:

Can't tell what kind of drill bit is provided. You really want a decent step bit like this one.

Second, the plumbed-in thermometer seems like a good idea, but they are generally more of a pain than it's worth. With a bag in there, you'll be battling with the probe a bit to avoid it poking things.

Finally, there's no pickup tube to drain the kettle more thoroughly. Not a huge deal, since you can just tip the kettle at the end. But since it's a "kit" that's one more thing you might want to add on top of it all.

I'd install just a ball valve at the bottom with a pickup tube inside.
Never thought of that with thermostat and the bag. I’m get two port kettle and just plug the top one

Can't tell what the drill bit is. What @McKnuckle shows above is what you want. The description says the drill bit is a 1/2" hole drill bit, but you're not going to get those fittings through a 1/2" hole. You're going to need something like 13/16" holes. So I don't know what's going on there.

Also echo his comment on no dip tube. The biggest reason for including a valve is so you can drain the kettle easily, and no dip tube means you're tilting the pot. This should make things easier, not a kludged-up mess.

I'm going to offer a different view on the thermometer: given the fittings and the length of the probe, it doesn't look like it'll extend into the pot more than....maybe 1.5"? That's not too bad. As long as you're a bit careful as you lift the bag--you could put a big mixing spoon between it and the bag as you lift--it should be ok. I personally like a thermometer on a kettle, both to tell when I'm getting close to a boil, but also to help decide where I'm at with strike water temp. Once you have one on there you'll realize how much you end up using it.

On another note, I can't tell what the fittings are like. They look more robust than the normal cheap fittings that seem to decorate inexpensive kettles, but if I were going to add fittings, I'd get them from brewhardware.com. Theirs are specifically designed for heavy duty and once installed, they are indistinguishable from welded in their robustness. They're just dead solid and they don't leak.

They'll cost more than the kit above, but that's the price you pay for better stuff. If money is a huge deal at this point--and I have two kids so i get that there are times when money is tight--then that kit probably would work, though the lack of a dip tube is concerning. The whole point of getting what you want and need is to get what you want and need. And I can't figure out the drill bit thing.

Here's the page showing brewhardware's fittings; there's a video at the top that explains the differences. It's relatively short; if you watch it and choose something else, at least you'll be better informed about the fittings.

https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1838.htm

I've got one of these on one of my kettles: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkhead2pbvdip.htm

Those are options, and pricier for sure. If you're still considering the ebay package, email the seller and ask about a dip tube, and ask specifically about the drill bit.

Good luck!

I too would go with the better quality parts from Brewhardware.

I don't have a thermometer in my boil kettle, I don't do BIAB. When I want to know the temperature of the wort, either at the boil or when cooling I use a probe thermometer. One less piece of hardware to knock about when cleaning. I do not have a dip tube and see no need for one. I tip after all the wort has been drained while sitting upright. That way I can watch the level of the trub and stop when it gets thick.

For drilling, a decent quality step bit. I got mine from Harbor Freight.

Drill with a very slow speed and lots of pressure. Some type of oil, cutting oil is available, is a must. If you see any smoke - STOP - ! If you heat the steel you will harden it making further cutting that much more difficult to do.

I'll counter that I love my installed thermometer. But I don't BIAB. Step bit will do the job. I got a cheapo from Harbor Freight and it worked just fine. As when drilling any metal, you want to punch / dimple the spot so your bit doesn't wander.

Those concord bulkheads are off the shelf garbage parts. So many people bring me their Concord pots (that have those bulkheads installed) and ask me to figure out how to stop the leaking. I offer to either swap it out to one of my True Bulkheads for $15ish or I'll make those fittings stop leaking for $25. Which solution do you think takes me longer to accomplish?

This https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkhead2pbvdip.htm
and This: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/holesaw21.htm

Tellyho: The OP specifically said BIAB so the thermometer is a bad idea in that case.

I've drilled mine with a cheapo step bit. Use cutting lube and go one step at a time so you don't heat it up too much. Use a center punch and drill a small pilot hole first so your step bit doesn't walk on you. Passivate the stainless where you drill. Hit it with some barkeepers friend and let it sit exposed to the air for a week or so and it should be good to go.

I’ve unfortunately always had a harder time with stepped bits (maybe I am just always rushing). I ended up with a carbide hole saw bit made for drilling metal. No clue as to how many holes I’ll get drilled before the thing dulls, but I’ve done at least a couple with great success. In fact I enjoyed using it much more than the stepped bit. The downside- just one size per bit, where the stepped bit will allow you to increase the hole if the fit is too tight. Definitely use some lubricant and watch for heating up too much. Good luck!

As with all things in life, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... Spend a little money and buy a good Klein step bit, you’ll be glad you did. I used one to drill through stainless and it did a great job.

As with all things in life, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... Spend a little money and buy a good Klein step bit, you’ll be glad you did. I used one to drill through stainless and it did a great job.

I was looking to drill 3 holes, then I would not have anything I needed one for. Haven't used them since. The Klein is $64. I got a 2 pack from Harbor Freight for $20. They easily did the job. And I saved $44.

Agree with all the smart people responding to this post. I drilled my kettle with a step bit w/o issues and bought the fittings from BrewHardware. Get a dip tube or at least a short elbow. I'm 30 batches in and no issues.

Don't try to get too greedy and drill the hole too close to the bottom of the kettle. I had to cut about 3/16" off one side of the stainless washer to get it to clear the kettle bottom. (But I get all the wort!)

Careful with the step bit, it's really easy to go just a tiny bit too big. BrewHardware does sell a handy Weldless bulkhead with extra centering Oring option that sizes up quite nicely if you do get carried away like me though.

I was looking to drill 3 holes, then I would not have anything I needed one for. Haven't used them since. The Klein is $64. I got a 2 pack from Harbor Freight for $20. They easily did the job. And I saved $44.
I used my harbor frieght 2 pack of bits to drill 12 holes in my 3 kettles as well as a couple in my steel control panel enclosure you need to drill very slow otherwise the stainless hardens and ruins the bits I ruins 2 bits this way before figuring it out... HF also sells a hole punch kit that works pretty well too.
I bought most of my weldless fitting from bargainfittings.com no complaints 6 years later...

Back