anyone doing 20 g batches w/cooler mlt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
So I've been considering a gravity fed 3 tier system using direct fired hlt and bk with a giant (150 gallon) cooler mlt. I know the sizes can handle it. I'm familiar with the system as it's essentially what I (and many of us) use for ten gallon batches with keggles. It would require a stand or stands for the hlt up high and the bk down low but the mlt could go on a permanant wood shelf or other. I guess (?) a ladder type 'stand/sculpture' would best support the weight.

Anyway, any one try this or do this? Any suggestions to problems I might have scaling up?

I've priced the coolers, $100 retail and build a copper manifold plus ball valve. Not bad compared to a similar sized brewpot and burner.

cb

I have seen pics of people using a poly 30 or 50 gallon drum, I forget who actually used a rubbermaid brute food grade "trash can" sometimes wrapped w/ insulation. As I understand it, the larger the mash tun and the more grain, the insulation becomes less of a factor?

If you look around you could probably score a large hdpe drum for free. I can't see that much grist cooling that quickly.

150 gallon! 5 barrels, that's a damn big cooler, yea it's early...perhaps quart?

Back