Anyone do a brown ale with Munich as base malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavpilot2000

Reaction score
I've only ever used Munich in German-style lagers, but I'm thinking the malty, bready character might make for a nice brown ale.

Anybody done it?

I have not, I use MO and Brown malt to get me there. I think Munich will get you the equivalent of brown malt and MO. JMHO

I did a lager with 100% Munich 10L. Turned out great. It took 3 months to condition in the keg to really get the thick crusty Munich characters out but well worth the wait. I would say it would be a great brown ale. My only negative thought would be using a lot of munch might make it hard for other malt characters to come out. I think like a mix of 2 row and munch would be best you can make it 50 50 I bet it would come out nice.

I did a lager with 100% Munich 10L. Turned out great. It took 3 months to condition in the keg to really get the thick crusty Munich characters out but well worth the wait. I would say it would be a great brown ale. My only negative thought would be using a lot of munch might make it hard for other malt characters to come out. I think like a mix of 2 row and munch would be best you can make it 50 50 I bet it would come out nice.

Wow, 3 months? You could wait that long? The only beer I keg condition for more than 6-8 weeks is my Oktoberfest, for which I try to adhere as closely as possible to traditional practices (brew in March or April, and after fermentation, lager until September).

Was your lager a SMASH? Mind posting up your recipe?
I think I'm going to try the Munich brown, maybe next month. I'll post results here, if you're interested.

I've only ever used Munich in German-style lagers, but I'm thinking the malty, bready character might make for a nice brown ale.

Anybody done it?

Hi. I did a Munich SMaSH with 10°L, Ahtanum hops, US-05, and it came out delicious, with just a bit of astringency on the back end (which may have been that I was relatively new to brewing and didn't adjust my water.) So, since it was an ale yeast, I guess you could consider that a brown ale, no? :) Ed
:mug:

CMC Munich SMaSH.jpg

Nice! That actually looks pretty dark for 100% Munich 10. Maybe its just the lighting.
Yep, it was kinda dark, but really malty and good. Could be I might have boiled it a little too hard as well, or the L° was more than 10. Based on your sig, were/are you an Army Aviator? If so, thanks for your service. Ed

Really depends on the kind of Munich. Weyermann light munich iscpretty damn mind and I use it for all kinds of stuff with no issues.

:off:
I was (retired)...14 Active/16 Reserve, and before then I was enlisted Cav Scout (Armored Recon.) Now working in civilian world. Ed

I know cav scouts well, as all of my cav time was in heavy divisional cavalry units, which were an amazing setup (a truly combined arms package - tanks, Brads, mortars, armed scout aviation).

Well cheers, mate!:tank:

I have always used Munich in my brown ales..... never 100% of base though. I have used it in the 10-50% of base grain range, with the rest of the base grain being Rahr 2 Row or Golden Promise.

I love using some munich in browns and amber ales in particular. Actually brewed a brown ale yesterday with about 25% of base malt being Munich and 75% being 2 Row.

Back