Anyone cut the dip tube on their corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cut a few of them. 1/2" cut off, but that's because I am using them as primary fermenters and racking closed loop, so I have a lot of sediment (yeast cake) in them.
I don't cut them in the final/serving kegs.

I will happily trade my remaining cut tubes for uncut ones if anybody wants to trade. I have been force carbing for two decades and haven't had anything but clear beer come out even on the 1st pour (I toss maybe 6oz at the start to get rid of the starsan in my lines). If you think you need to cut your tubes, I recommend you leave it in the fermenter a week longer than you are currently doing, and be a little more careful when you fill your kegs. 😋

I'd recommend some quality beer line over vinyl,
Although it's only a short piece I totally agree.
A short piece of 1/4" ID (6.3 mm) should do, or perhaps stretch a piece of 5mm ID EVA barrier nice and tight over the diptube with a little heating.

I had a 2" piece of 1/2" thick walled silicone tubing drop into a full fermenter with (hoppy) beer. A week later, after transfer to a keg, the piece of silicone had turned very dark brown, almost black. 😲

Back