Anyone care to share some 2.5gal SMaSH recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
Im thinking of trying some 2-2.5 gal SMaSH recipes, but would like some input from others. I think my favorite hop is Cascade, since most of my favorite beers have Cascades in them. Thanks!

Eric

The SMaSH referenced in my sig was pretty darn good. 5 lbs of US 2-row, 3/4 oz of EKG @ 4.75%AA added as FWH and 1/4 oz at flameout. Fermented with Windsor. I have two bottles left, and I'm hoarding them, I love it so much. :)

Everyone told me I was a nutter for not even toasting some of the malt, but I have to say I'm brewing up a crapload of this for the summer. Light, spritzy and refreshing.

Cheers,

Bob

Anyone care to share some 2.5gal SMaSH recipes?
The beauty of a SMaSH is the simplicity of the recipe. You can make the process a easy or hard as you like. Roasting some of the malt, step mash, decoctions . . . .

For the first one you might want to go for easy:
3 gallon batches go nicely in a 5 gallon carboy.
5 lbs of two row, mash at 150-154.
Four ½ oz of Cascade additions at 60-20-10-0

It’ll be a great way to see if you really do like Cascade hops.

How hoppy did that brew end up being? Sounds pretty good

My first SMaSH will also be my first all grain brew. Seems like it would be easier for a newbie to try a small batch.

Thanks again.

Eric

I sit possible to do a smash using a dry extract? Well i guess it wouldnt really be a smash but is it possible?

How hoppy did that brew end up being? Sounds pretty good.
That’s not one that I’ve done. Just a suggestion using the hops that you mentioned. I have done a Maris Otter / Centennial IPA SMaSH that came in at around 60 IBU. That one was done with Wyeast American Ale II 1272. Very tasty. The keg kicked way too fast.

Is it possible to do a smash using a dry extract? Well i guess it wouldnt really be a smash but is it possible?
Not that rules are that important, but I suppose it wouldn’t break any SMaSH purity law. I know that they make Maris Otter in LME, but not sure about dry. Using MO as apposed to American two row adds a bit more character to a SMaSH recipe.

I sit possible to do a smash using a dry extract? Well i guess it wouldnt really be a smash but is it possible?

Sure. In fact, you could do a SMaSH with dry extract - Briess make a dry Organic extract that's mashed from 100% organic 2-row North American barley. Unlike the other extracts, which at least contain CaraPils.

I think I might try a SMaSH with that and organic Kent Goldings as part of the Spring/Summer 2009 Anglo-American SMaSH love-fest.

Cheers!

Bob

[/hijack]

Mash times should still be 60 minutes for a smaller batch right?

Also, are any adjustments needed for whole hops? the LHBS has whole hops and pellets and I'm going to get whatever is cheaper.

Eric

Mash times should still be 60 minutes for a smaller batch right?
That’s a good general rule for any size mash and it's a fine place to start, but really you just want to mash until conversion is complete. It also will depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Longer and cooler for a more fermentable wort. Warmer and you won’t need as much time for conversion, but will produce a maltier beer.

Also, are any adjustments needed for whole hops?
Nope.

Latest posts

Back