Anyone buy DME in bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialkayme

Reaction score
I buy most of my brewing ingredients in bulk (grains, hops, and make overbuilt starters to harvest extra yeast). But DME for starters has always been something I keep around in 1 lb. or 3 lb. bags. I noticed a retailer selling a 50 lb. bag of DME for $2.09 /lb. I never thought about buying DME in bulk (it is fairly shelf stable from what I've read, as long as it's sealed away from air and moisture, just like grains).

Is anyone else buying DME in bulk?

This is also something I'm pretty curious about. It's tempting to pull the trigger on some of those deals to always have it on hand, obviously, but I'm afraid of losing too much to the elements?

I buy Muntons DME in 25 Kg packs and refill 1 Kg wise in zipper bags. I don't even store it cool.
Oldest bags are over a year old and fine

So dividing it up into smaller ziplock type bags after opening the original bag will be enough to keep it fresh? Hmmm... interesting.

I just buy 3 lb bags. Buy a couple on sale and they'll last me a year. A 50 lb bag seems way too messy. Plus it would last me years and take up room.

I've considered it several times however I always fear it's gonna get moist somehow and go hard

Aye I worry about that too. It’s very appealing to an extract brewer though. Especially since I have a friend who has also very recently started. If it stores well, splitting a bag with him and further dividing it down makes a lot of sense for me.

Aye I worry about that too. It’s very appealing to an extract brewer though. Especially since I have a friend who has also very recently started. If it stores well, splitting a bag with him and further dividing it down makes a lot of sense for me.
I would go for it if your splitting it up and doing extract. I only use it for starters so with 50lb it's not really worth the savings as it would probably last me at least 6+ months

I use DME for priming (almost exclusively) my batches. I really use it rarely to increase OG. 3# bags last me a few months.

I buy Muntons DME in 25 Kg packs and refill 1 Kg wise in zipper bags. I don't even store it cool.
Oldest bags are over a year old and fine
I switched from extract to all grain 5 years ago. Used to buy in 25 kg bags and split into zip locks. I just discovered several zip lock bags of extract in my cupboard. It's all in perfect shape.

I switched from extract to all grain 5 years ago. Used to buy in 25 kg bags and split into zip locks. I just discovered several zip lock bags of extract in my cupboard. It's all in perfect shape.

Like finding a $20 in your coat pocket!

Back