Anyone brewing tonight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I've got my Tripel ingredients waiting for me at home. As soon as 3:30 rolls around, I'll be in the kitchen. :ban:

Anyone else?

Kind of - I'll be making a starter tonight. I also have to transfer a Barley Wine.

Tomorrow (or Saturday), I'll be brewing a Cherry (or raspberry because I'm havinga tough time finding cherries) Wit. I'm also making my very first, Ed Wort style, Apfelwein.

Not tonight, but plan on brewing up round 2 this weekend after hitting Scotzin's or Mr. Steve's for a second fermenter/secondary (damn this hobby is great/addicting!).

I have a Liberty Cream Ale, a Strawberry Wheat, and some misc. ingredients sitting around, so who knows what I'll be brewing, but it will be something...

I also plan (if all remains well) to move my Holiday spiced ale to the secondary on Saturday or Sunday morning.

Good luck with the tripel!

Nope! Spent the morning smoking some beef & sausages for a party this weekend. I'll probably be kegging the Whole Harvest ale in the morning.

Chimone said:
probably not tonight, but tomorrow I will be brewing an ESB

Hey, me too! A Fuller's clone. And a Unibroue Ephemere Cassis clone. Taking half a day off from work...can't wait. Gotta brew my starters when I get home from work tonight.

Hey, anyone else here keep notes on what music you listen to during each brew session? I noticed that I was listening to particular artists during brews, so I made note of it after awhile. Then, I went on Stone's website, and they had directions for brewing their Vertical Epic...and I'll be damned if they didn't do the same thing...kinda. They suggested artists/albums for particular phases of the brew. :rockin:

Not brewing tonight, but making a starter for Saturday's Teach a Friend to Brew Day ... man did I ever screw up!

I burnt the **** out of my hand with a boiling over starter wort from a pyrex flask ... index finger all the way around to my thumb ... ouch! The area's pink and white and numb and burning deep ...

I burned this area before when I used to make salt water taffy at the James Salt Water Taffy factory in Atlantic City...instantly went to cold water...

Keep it safe out there boys and girls ...

I can't believe I did this ... :( ... I know better ...

SilkkyBrew said:
How'd the Tripel go?

Good question! This was the first brew where I was torn between saying "Woo hoo!" and "Whoops."

I followed this recipe. The entire process was smooth and I had zero issues. However, when I was done, my O.G. was - get this - 1.1000. I have no clue where all of the extra sugar came from.

Anyway, I pitched a 1 L starter when it reached ~70 degrees (this was at about 9 PM), and as of this morning, it was just barely starting to show signs of fermentation. Is this a bad thing? I thought a starter was meant to get things moving much faster than that. I hope it burns most of the sugar, because I wanted something with high ABV. :cross:

To echo earlier responses, not tonight but tomorrow. I just bought a second set of fermeters. That way I can brew my White Whale IPA tomorrow, a Beligian Strong on Sunday, and transfer the Belgian White to Secondary. Woot!

Brewing a Porter, A Barley Wine, and a Red Ale tomorrow. That reminds me....I need more hops!!!!!

threw together some red ale of some kind tonight. used a fancy white labs yeast. seems to be way low on the hydrometer though. 1030 and the can says should be up in the 50's. used 2 pounds of LME. it will be ok im sure. ill just relax and have a brew or 7.
also, bottled our latest dry beer tonight too. drinking that last about quarter bottle left to fill makes me think this will be a winner once it has conditioned some. plenty of alcohol content and good flavor. yay!

threw together some red ale of some kind tonight. used a fancy white labs yeast. seems to be way low on the hydrometer though. 1030 and the can says should be up in the 50's. used 2 pounds of LME. it will be ok im sure. ill just relax and have a brew or 7.
also, bottled our latest dry beer tonight too. drinking that last about quarter bottle left to fill makes me think this will be a winner once it has conditioned some. plenty of alcohol content and good flavor. yay!

Only 2 lb. LME to a 5 gallon batch could be a good explanation for the low OG? Did you use any other fermentables? I sure hope so because if not, prepare for a weak (low ABV) beer. If you did use other fermentables (sugars, etc.) it's probably going to be a sweet/cidery beer b/c that is a small amount of malt extract for a full 5 gallon batch of beer (compared to the other fermentables).

For reference, my last 5 gallon batch used 7lb. of liquid extract and yesterday I used 3lb. of dry extract in a 2.25 gallon batch I made.

brew2.jpg

a few photos of the brew

brew1.jpg

the red ale i had posted about before. here it is in the new and improved setup i got running. primary fermenter sits atop an upside down plastic trash can i found at wal mart so it can be easily siphoned off into the secondary without having to manhandle it out of there. also stays very undisturbed so it all stays settled during the siphoning. pretty good idea.
this is the first time going with a fancy liquid yeast, white labs california ale yeast. these photos are taken before the action began. later that day it fermented like nothing before. almost spewed out the top! hit that climax then backed down over a period of another day or so. right now, it is just about ready for bottling.
and i read silkky's post too and that makes me concerned. the 2 pounds was the recommendation of the shop where i got the stuff. if it looks like i am cruising for a weak brew i had better get to researching

making up another brew tonight. and drinking a bunch of homebrew. and managing some wine too.

tonights brew: oktoberfest style based on coopers extract and some malt of some kind amber i think. yay!

Tomorrow I'll be cooking up what should be a pretty decent bitter. Can't wait, been excited all week.

not tonight, but tomorrow. I took the Wyeast out of the fridge to get to room temp. Cooper Duper Irish Red is being planned for!

Unfortunately not. Once I move in June or July and am able to set up a kegging system, I definately plan on brewing at least once a month. Right now, I don't have the space and can't justify the expense of buying a bunch of stuff, paying for shipping, etc....

I am definately hoping that my next military housing will have a nice one or two car garage, which will definately not be utilized for parking the car.

ok here we go. a photo always goes good
oktoberfestSmall.jpg

this is oktoberfest. based on coopers extract and muntons amber dry malt extract. was thinking about steeping some hops but all i had was northern brewers:(

also, bottled that load of steam brew too. 53 bottles! i drank that last half bottle and i think its going to turn out real well in the end. yeah!!

for bonus points: identify the background stuff

jeez i am half cocked on homebrew i am going to go post up in the drunken ramblings area...

Brewed my American Brown while sampling Moose Drool and enjoying a LaGloria Maduro #5. The wort is bubbling away while I'm stuck here at work. Guess I need to come up with a wort cam :ban:

Wild

Hi, Im new to the forums (relitavely new to brewing also). Yes Im brewing tonight, a stout. Just put it in the ferminter. I cant wait, this is the first batch I've brewed scince Katrina. I live in Westwego, which is a suburb of New Orleans.
BTW, conman, that looks like a St. Pauli Girl or Becks bottle on the floor underneath the the Clockwork Orange, D O H, and DTOM posters. Great to be here.:mug:

Brewed my Heather Ale last night and hit the S.G. on the money (extract). Some reviews say this can have a purplish tint and after most of the stuff in suspension has settled out, it does kind of have a dark purple color.

Interesting Ale, tastes just like beer with the Heather giving a floral scent. Can't wait to try it when it's done.

I brewed a belgian-y double and am trying to grow the dregs of an Orval bottle. The brew seemed to go well, frementing it with the wyeast canadian-belgian... should be fun!

Latest posts

Back