Anyone above the 40th parallel... You are all killing your hop plants!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in SE MA our hops that we planted last year are leaping out of the soil and all have leaves. I planted our three new rhizomes this weekend in pots - so i can take them in if there is the threat of frost.

Update: I put my three rhizomes in April 17. The Willamette first erupted yesterday (4 days) and the Liberty popped out today (5 days). Here's to hoping the Cascade comes out tomorrow.

Rock on, little hops!

I live up in the mountains of Colorado. It was 20F this morning and snowing with about a 30mph wind off the divide. Weather has been very cold and snowy this year. I was hoping to try to work some ground this weekend, but I don't think it will happen. I have 6 rhizomes sitting in the fridge growing and waiting to be planted. My guess it will be at least 3 to 4 more weeks before I can do anything.

Scotty_g, I grew up in Green Bay. I went to Southwest high and graduated in 92. I moved out to Colorado in 96 after college. I can't really say I miss Wisconsin too much except for the perch frys. Cheers!

:mug:

Steve

Got 7 varieties planted (last week) and all but one are up and leafing. I went to a friends home where they have a 5 year old nugget crown and that bad boy was sprouting through the snow cover two weeks ago.

All of mine are up and growing. I have a Mount Hood, a Cascade, a Centennial and...um...I forget the last one. The two close to the house (warm soil) are ahead of the other two but all look strong. I planted them about mid-April.

So you think as long as I work the ground, I can probably get them in the ground? I have now seen more than one case where hops have been sprouting through the snow on the ground. That makes me think they are not as susceptible to frost. Maybe I can get these in the ground sooner than I thought.

Steve

If you are worried about frost, simply cover the plant with plastic or blanket, and try to support it off the plant, maybe using some stakes to prop it up.

I'm on my third year for my three hop rhizomes (Cascade, Centennial, Fuggle) here in Portland, ME. My Cascade is consistently my strongest and has about a foot of vine so far this year. The rhizomes haven't produced many cones during the first two years. I'm hoping this year is the turning point.

All of my rhizomes sprouted. I would very disappointed if I purchased a rhizome that didn't sprout. I could see buying extra in different varieties to see which work best in your soil or region but I don't think I'd advise new growers to expect rhizomes not to sprout.

Global warming phooey! NASA just announced that global temps are DOWN!!! That's based on satellite data world wide. Don't see that being hyped by the media, do ya?

2 cents,

M.

These things live in the ground all winter, I planted mine about two months ago here in Boise. I has frozen many times since then, out of 12 rhizomes in I have 11 up and one is about 2' tall. Nobody is killing any hops around here due to frost.

Hello

I'm considering growing my own next year. I'm in Upstate NY (zone 4a or b) and in the snow belt. I'm going to use them priamarly for mid to mildly hopped pale ales. Suggestions?
:tank:

Hello

I'm considering growing my own next year. I'm in Upstate NY (zone 4a or b) and in the snow belt. I'm going to use them priamarly for mid to mildly hopped pale ales. Suggestions?
:tank:

Nothing to worry about. They are hardy. If you come down as far as midstate and a little farther east than the state, I can give you Tettnanger, Saaz, possibly Hallertaur (it's a tiny one, though they all are over 10 years old) and Cascade (from the "untended" collection.) Tettnanger does best for me, though that may be its spot more than the plant. I'm Zone 4, right where NY, VT and MA come together. They all came through 2004, when it dropped to -20 for a week, so I think they'll take whatever you throw at them winter-wise.

I'm more into hops that smell good than hops of high bittering potential.

Back