Anybody using a Glacier Tanks conical fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOut

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 1 BBL conical fermenter and leaning towards the Glacier Tank 50 Gallon Uni Tank I was looking for some input on their tanks and hoping someone has one and can share their thoughts good, bad or ugly. Any input is welcome as I have never used a conical. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Wow that is a nice one. Will you be able to properly control temps? Putting it in a walk in cooler would work well. Then again I am in Texas and it gets up to 100 out here.

Wow that is a nice one. Will you be able to properly control temps? Putting it in a walk in cooler would work well. Then again I am in Texas and it gets up to 100 out here.

I have a walk in box I can use but it's not together right now. It's pretty hot here in MD and I do not cool my shop in the summer so a box will be a must. I guess I will be putting the box together and selling my secondary refrigerator I’m using now or hack it for the refrigeration.

I've never used them but I've certainly looked at them. I think Bonfire Brewing was using their water tanks before they started selling these conicals. I hear they're a good business. I think these fermenters are chinese imports, but I wouldn't hesitate buying them since you have a quality business backing them up.

I've never used them but I've certainly looked at them. I think Bonfire Brewing was using their water tanks before they started selling these conicals. I hear they're a good business. I think these fermenters are chinese imports, but I wouldn't hesitate buying them since you have a quality business backing them up.

Thanks for your input, I was aware they are Chinese but as you stated at least they have an reputable American company backing them and they ship from US so tanks are inspected before they reach the customer. After a ton of consideration and comparing tanks from Brewhemoth, Blichman and Stout tanks I think the Glacier tanks have the most to offer and look heavy duty in comparison. Brewhemoth is the only other tank in this size range that has the ability to be pressurized and carbonate in fermenter. The drawback with the Brewhemoth is it’s a little small, has a small opening in top for cleaning and makes me wonder how the cleaned the interior welds? Also the exterior welds in their own pictures look a little sub par. After further consideration I think I’m going with two of the Glacier Tanks 25 gallon conical’s verses one 50 gallon. This will give me more versatility in the pipeline and allow me to carb in one while the other is fermenting. What do you think?

Well I took the plunge and placed an order for two 25 gallon conical tanks from Glacier Tanks. I should receive them in about 12 days because they were in stock. I had them rigged with all Tri clamps, butterfly valves and a ball valve on the top with the T so I can add a pressure gauge and spunding valve. I'm also getting a four-inch carbonation stone that will be inserted through the thermometer port. I hope I receive them in good shape and they turn out to be as nice as they appear in the pictures. Each fermenter weighs over 150 pounds so they sound pretty substantial. I got the dimensions from Glacier Tanks yesterday and measured my current secondary fermenter and one will fit in there nice and tight. For nowI'll just place other one beside it and carbonate in it at ambient temperature to get me through the winter. In the spring I will assemble a small walk-in box to house both of them in separate chambers. I will update the thread when I receive the fermenters and document all details of the shipping etc. so far my experience with G
product.cgi
lacier Tanks customer service has been exceptional to excellent

daksin said:
Thought you were looking for a 1bbl fermentor? Just going to split batches?

These will hold 31 gallons so I will just scale it down a few gallons. Decided to settle for smaller size to fit in my current fermenter frige. Not many options in the 1bbl size that will hold pressure.

pbaker said:

Trust me I've considered the plastic conicals but I'm using plastic buckets now and realizing the disadvantages of plastic. My biggest issue is still having the ability of holding pressure for carbonating, transfers and storage. Price is an issue and sure I could buy several plastic conicals and throw them out if they become infected but overall I'm not interested in the hassle of cleaning and worrying about the plastic with that much beer in them. I've seen people using the plastics have infections on the first batch. The choice between stainless and plastic was a bridge I crossed a long time ago. Unfortunately there is not many choices for 1bbl stainless conicals most are a little small and the others are too big. I'm all ready invested into this hobby and the Glacier tanks should hold their value if I decide to get out of the hobby some day.

That's true, I replied before I saw how mind numbingly bad ass your set up was. Stick with the stainless.

I am in the market for a 1 BBL conical fermenter and leaning towards the Glacier Tank 50 Gallon Uni Tank I was looking for some input on their tanks and hoping someone has one and can share their thoughts good, bad or ugly. Any input is welcome as I have never used a conical. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Max Out, have attached partial list of customers who have purchased GlacierTanks Tanks of all sizes including BBT's, FM's, Brewhouses and Water storage Tanks

View attachment REFERENCES PARTIAL_20121108075350.pdf

I'm looking at the Glacier 50 gallon. does anyone know if there's a consumer upright freezer that this would fit in? There used to be some 25 cubic foot ones around (commercial fridges are too expensive)

50 Gl Fermenter is 1600mm x 600mm (63"H x 23.7"D) 25Gl is (54"x 20")...Hope this helps...Thanks

It would be a lot cheaper to go $1500 conical + $1000 freezer than $3000 jacketed fermenter and a $1500 glycol chiller. In fairness, the $3000 one is 65 gallons (versus 50 gallons) but I don't need 65 gallons.

Link to that is here: http://www.glaciertanks.com/Products-Conical_Fermenters.html

Also, just saw this on youtube for your entertainment:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video. I wonder if that guy realizes he could put that fermenter in that fridge beside it. I have that same model and it fits in thier nice. :mug:

Latest posts

Back