Anybody use one of these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
King Kooker® 12" Portable Propane Outdoor Jet Burner with Baffle | Bass Pro Shops

Looking at upgrading my cooker. Don't want to spend the $100 or so for the banjo burner. This seems like a decent compromise. At 105,000 btu, it's still nearly double my current setup.

Not so sure about that element though. Looks more like it would have a 'blowtorch' effect on the underside of the pot. Which, I guess wouldn't be a big deal as long as it's full of liquid...

I had something very similar as my first burner. Didn't realize how crappy it was until I upgraded to a better burner. This thing just doesn't have a great flame. For right around $50 you can get a Bayou Classic like poislb linked above or one of these: Bayou Classic

The Jet burners are not as efficient as the burner in the SQ14 or the banjo burner, it also concentrates the heat to a focal point which can cause issues with caramelization, darkening of the wort, as well as beerstone buildup on the inside of the kettle.

I personally have two SQ14 burners, and they work well for me. They don't put out the most heat, but they do well enough for 10 gallon batches, and are efficient enough for me.

i have a rig, i think i bought it at home dePOT for ~45 bucks a few years ago.
low pressure regulator and 55k btu mini-banjo burner
the 3 steel, upright tabs on it fit JUST inside my keggle rim w/ a 'pushdown'.

till i hardwire a nat-gas setup i DO like this.

p.s. YOUR setup does not include earplugs. mine doesn't NEED them.

$100 bucks for a bayou? no offense but that thing looks like a toy...lol

Your better off getting something like this.......and free shipping
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove: Home & Garden

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Now I don't want to start a credit consultation conversation here BUT, Amazon is offering a $40 credit on your first invoice if you sign up for their Visa Card... effectively making this thing cost you ~$10 shipped to your door..

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, there's a great episode of Good Eats that covers turkey frying. Now I know we're not frying turkeys in our brew pots and that spilled wort isn't quite as dangerous as spilled 300+ degree oil... it's still not necessarily something you want to experience. I'm in the process of trying to get an AG setup going for myself and I'm using Alton's turkey fryer advice when choosing a burner platform.

Here's a clip from the episode. Just skip ahead to about 5:40 to make this clip relevant.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU]Alton Brown Fried Turkey 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

I have been using one of the jet burner style cookers for years. It has served me well. :) I'm looking to upgrade. I'm just trying to do it as cheap as I can. It would be nice to get my 10 gallon 'to boil' times down to 20 minutes (or less) from 45 or so.

I saw one today and I agree with Poislb, it really does look rather 'toyish'. I would have serious reservations about putting a full 12-13 gallons on top of one.

Tell ya what bud, if ya got a little extra cash get a blichmann burner. $135 will be the best money ya ever spent. Maybe a christmas wish list present or something. Ya cant even hear the thing run and it gets a boil damn quick. I have 2 and its nice to brew and hold a conversation at the same time..Love mine, so worth the extra ching..

Back