Anybody try WLP862 (Papazian's yeast)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting together an order at Northern Brewer, and noticed that they have WLP862 (Cry Havoc), Papa Charlie's famed ale-or-lager yeast. Thinking about picking up a vial. Anybody do anything with this yeast yet? I'm thinking about re-doing one of my first AG batches, the Good Life pale ale from Complete Joy.

Just curious if anyone has done anything with this strain yet...

Pretty neat. I haven't used it, but I do recall him speaking on a podcast about how White Labs had his strain tucked away, and remember thinking that would be cool to try...:D

I really want to try this yeast also. I have two recipe ideas for a honey/high ABV blonde ale, along with a dunkelweizen that I think this yeast could work well for (judging from what the White's said in their BN podcast).

I also saw an adverstisement in the latest NB catalog regarding a "fat tire" yeast strain. Anyone ahve any info on that one?

I'm going to get a vial, I just don't know exactly what to use it on yet. Definately be one that I save and try a few different times.

I wanted to get my data point out there. I just got done racking a batch into kegs. I threw together a pale ale recipe with an OG of 1.053. This was a 10 gallon batch and I split it between 2 different fermenters. In one I used WLP001 (Califonia Ale) and in the other WLP862 (Cry Havoc). I pitched from a 1L starter for each and used an aquarium pump/filter/stone to aerate.

I fermented at about 66*F for 2 weeks and 1 week at about 68*F. The FG with the WLP862 was 1.012 and with the WLP001 was 1.010. My hydrometer samples tasted very similar and since I did the racking a few hours apart I couldn't do a side by side comparison so I'll have to wait until I'm done dry hopping and finally make some space in my fridge for these kegs.

Madtown Brew said:
I also saw an adverstisement in the latest NB catalog regarding a "fat tire" yeast strain. Anyone ahve any info on that one?

It's part of Wyeast's VSS program, Oct-Dec 2007. What information are you looking for?

I did get a vial in one of my last NB orders, I'm going to give it a shot on my next batch (some kind of generic pale/amber ale). It sounds like it may not attenuate as the yeasts that I would typically use (US-05 or Nottingham) for this style, so I'm going to intentionally go in a more-malty direction.

iamjonsharp said:
Weekend brewer is $8.50 for White Labs yeast?

Yeah. The owner talked some ʇıɥs about how the rise in hop and grain prices is affecting everything, including yeast. But if that were true, it'd be that much online too. His selection is pretty lacking, too.

Evan! said:
Yeah. The owner talked some ʇıɥs about how the rise in hop and grain prices is affecting everything, including yeast. But if that were true, it'd be that much online too. His selection is pretty lacking, too.

How much have his hop and grain prices gone up? (I am assuming his website is now outdated.)

Yes I have used it on an amber that I had made and it turned out well form me. I did get hints of cherries coming through. I did think it was too clean for my taste kind of like WLP001.

My SWMBO hates Weekend Brewer. We went there the weekend after she bought me my brew kit. He was extremely abrasive and would not let us look around. He grabbed my shopping list and piled everything on the counter and basically shoo'ed us out. She refuses to go back there and basically makes me shop exclusively online now :)

Back