Anybody tried this Instant Isinglass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried this product, but I've done the pre-mixed liquid one. I didn't see much of a difference between isinglass and gelatin. Given that gelatin is cheap, easy to prepare, 100% shelf stable, and readily available at the grocery store, I think I'll stick with it.

I bought some of this stuff. They claim it's ready made, you mix wit water, let sit for 15 min, mix again, and it's ready. I have a brown ale that I just kegged that I want to toss this into but I'm not sure if it's better to shake the keg like crazy when pitching so as to enable as much contact with the yeast, protein, haze etc.?

I used the regular liquid Isinglass twice, once in a Kolsch that had difficulty dropping the yeast and once in a Tripel. Both cleared awesome with that stuff. No need to shake, just a very gentle stir so as to minimize oxidation.

Not really worried about oxidation as the beer in question is kegged and under c02. Btw did you cool the beer before adding or did you stir it in at room temps?

I added the Isinglass to an empty carboy and then racked from primary into the carboy. So room temp. Just the action of racking on top probably negated the need for more mixing, but I gently mixed it some anyway.

I don't think it needs much contact to work. You could see it clear from the bottom up. Took about a week if I remember. Well worth $1 per batch for some of the yeast strains that aren't as floc friendly IMO.

Another question that I have is can I force carbonate while the isinglass does its thing or do I wait for everything to drop then turn the co2 on?

Back