Anybody toasted oats in an oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntangus

Reaction score
Hi, i just picked up my ingredients for an oatmeal stout and was wondering if anyone has ever toasted their flaked oats? I saw it in "Radical Brewing" and it said that it imparted an oatmeal cookie flavor (which could be enhanced by adding some cinnamon and vanilla extract). It also mentioned toasting two weeks prior to brewing to let some of the bitter aftertastes leave the oats before mashing - anyone?

I haven't, but several members have. Not an easy thing to search for though. They should be kept in a paper bag at room temperature for the two weeks. If they are sealed in plastic or refrigerated, the bitter flavors won't evaporate.

I do toast the oats for my oatmeal stout, however i have never waited 2 weeks to use them. I usually toast them the day of or a couple days before brewing have nothing but good results so far.

My pulldown includes a link to my oatmeal stout. I toasted 1.2 lb of flaked oats to a nice golden brown, then left them sit in a brown paper bag for two weeks (following Randy's advice). I have no idea what the effect on the beer would be if I hadn't aged them, but they did smell pretty acrid at first, and mellowed out a lot.

I'm very happy with the result, although I haven't done a scientific side-by-side to compare against the same recipe but without toasting.

I did it. I have Moser's book and every recipe I have made out of it has been awesome.

With the oats I toasted double the amount required for a Kotbusser since a bunch of my ancestors are from that part of Germany. Then I made oatmeal with the toasted oats every few days from the extra half. The beer was awesome too.

If you have the time, DO IT!!!

I toasted oats for the last brew I did. And seeing here that a 2 week aging may be appropriate, it makes me wonder if that's the problem I have. I got a lot of oatmeal flavor, but it is much drier tasting than the reading suggests it should be, and I think that has a lot to do with the almost astringent bitterness that the oats imparted. I am currently letting it age in the keg to see if it will get a little more mellow.

Back