Anybody made a hoppy wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I'd like to make an American wheat for the summer with a medium bitterness but with some nice finishing hops. Anybody have some stories to share with something like this?

I guess I'm thinking of an APA made with wheat, and with a little less bitterness. Something like:

OG 1.055
FG 1.012
IBU 25-35

50% wheat, 40% two-row, 10% interesting

Maybe 1oz hops at 10min and 1oz at 0min... maybe dry hop?

I have one just finishing up right now. Good idea is to start with a Gumballhead (3 Floyds) clone and then modify to what you think may be good from there. My experience would suggest to not go so hard on the bittering but push it more on the dry hop.

I did an American wheat with Amarillo last year. Mighty good and worth doing again. Also did a batch with Simcoe. It also was good, but the hop flavor faded quickly.

Just tapped a batch I made a while ago, wheat with Amarillo and Sorachi Ace, not very APA, but a nice citrusy summer cooler.

My next biab recipe will have amarillo and simcoe with a tiny bit of lemon peel and sweet and bitter orange peel toward the end of the boil. Shooting for a "citrus wheat pale."

Whatever you decide to do, let us know!

I haven't made one, but I've had a lot of Crack'd Wheat, a New Glarus hoppy wheat beer from Wisconsin. It's quite delicious, and probably just what you're looking for. Some clone ideas are here and here. I'm planning on cloning it sometime this summer. The citrusy hop flavor from the amarillo goes surprisingly well with some sort of german hefeweizen yeast (maybe WLP380). Should be delicious!

I made one that turned out very good, not a big fan of dried yeast but it worked well for this one.

6.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt Canada
6.0 lb Wheat Malt
.50 lb Honey Malt
6.0 oz Munich Malt
14.0 g Galena (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (6.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
32.0 g Amarillo (9.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Summit (16.7%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Back