anybody here union?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GranillaNutz

Reaction score
gotta interview today with the electrical union... i know it's not all that big in the south, but the benifits look pretty good. work has really slowd for smaller companies lately and i havn't had a 40 hour check this year. anybody have any horror stories about the union? or fairytales?

Good luck with your interview. I've been IBEW in Chicago for 15 years. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Bennies are great, the union (usually) stands behind you 100% when you're in the right...

Just a warning, though, be prepared for some union bashing here. There were a couple of mean-sprited threads in the debate forum a few months ago, with people who know little-or-nothing about trade unions doing most of the posting.

well i went to the interview... i don't think i liked what i heard while i was there... i do currently have a job so it's not like i was going there just cuz i was broke. it seemd like it would've been a really good move to join them if i would've joined them while i was fresh out of high school with no experience... i would recommend going union to anybody just starting a trade... it seemd like the 7 years of experience and the journeyman license i have didn't really mean a whole lot to them and they still wanted me to take a pay cut plus go thru a 5 year apprentiship program just to learn things there way. i think i'll just stick on persueing my masters licence and start my own business eventually. i was mainly checking it out because of the insurance (which i have none now). i'm just about 30 and i don't wanna go thru ANOTHER training program. well i gave it a shot and it's not for me, thats for sure.
at least i have the rest of the day off today and i can continue with my keggle ;)

Sounds like you've made a good decision. You might look into 'disaster' insurance. I carried that for years. It's just a high-deductible that has good coverage once you hit $4-5K worth of bills. Typically, it's a quarter the cost and if you are relatively healthy, a good deal. Plus, you can qualify for a Health Savings Account that let's you pay your medical bills in pre-tax dollars without having to itemize or exceed the normal percentage of base income.

well i went to the interview... i don't think i liked what i heard while i was there... i do currently have a job so it's not like i was going there just cuz i was broke. it seemd like it would've been a really good move to join them if i would've joined them while i was fresh out of high school with no experience... i would recommend going union to anybody just starting a trade... it seemd like the 7 years of experience and the journeyman license i have didn't really mean a whole lot to them and they still wanted me to take a pay cut plus go thru a 5 year apprentiship program just to learn things there way. i think i'll just stick on persueing my masters licence and start my own business eventually. i was mainly checking it out because of the insurance (which i have none now). i'm just about 30 and i don't wanna go thru ANOTHER training program. well i gave it a shot and it's not for me, thats for sure.
at least i have the rest of the day off today and i can continue with my keggle ;)

If you've got 7 years AND a license behind you, they should, at the very least, bring you in under what's known as a "Book 4". That gets you scale wages and bennies. Then you have to put in your hours under union contractors and take a couple of tests, and you're up to a "Book 1."
If you're still interested, I would go into the International website : International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers - Int'l Office.
It sounds like whoever you were talking to didn't know the proper procedures.

Now that I think about it, though, work is probably so slow there, that they aren't giving out permits which will allow you to work as a Book 4.
I'd wait it out until the economy turns around and work opens up, then apply for a permit. They should take you in a heartbeat.

despite popular belief.. work really hasn't slowed too much here. it's allways a lil slow in between xmass and tax return time. i expect it to pick up in the spring. the disaster insurance sounds like a good move to me. i RARELY go to the doctor for anything.. i think the last time i had to go was for an root canal. i've mended all my broken bones by myself and if i have a cold i usually just drink rum and coke.. (don't know if it helps the cold but it sure does make me feel good :) )

Latest posts

Back