Anybody here messed around with cask conditioning on a home brew scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalmeida

Reaction score
I am a huge British beer fan and have been toying with the idea of cask conditioning. Seems like the idea is to rack beer straight from primary to keg to allow the beer to naturally carbonate and condition in the keg it will be served from. The only issue is that to do this properly you really need a beer engine which are pricey and difficult to find. So the question is would their be another method to accomplish the same results without the investment? One idea I had was to purchase 5g wood casks with a stand and gravity dispense that way. But, would this truly accomplish this? I would like to hear some of your ideas on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You don't need a beer engine to serve cask conditioned beers - beer festivals and even some pubs serve directly from spigots on casks under gravity.

I've got a bitter cask conditioned in a 20L Speidel Fermenter at the moment (which is pretty similar to the pressure barrels you will see on UK brewing forums and shop websites). I gravity serve from the spigot on the Speidel, but you could easily hook up a beer engine to the outlet.

I replaced the airlock with a second spigot, which seals the Speidel (reportedly it's good to about 5 psi), and primed the cask for 1.5 vols C02 (about 1.5 oz corn sugar for my fermentation schedule). Let it condition at 65F for a couple of days, before cooling to 55F and conditioning further for a week.

I hooked up a cask breather to the top spigot to prevent spoilage, although I did draw a couple of pints off before this, allowing air in through the top spigot. A little controlled oxygen exposure is helpful for English style bitters, as it softens the bitterness a little. The cask breather is a low-pressure propane regulator (as seen on the link above) - fixed at 0.4 psi, and about $15 online - fitted inline in some 3/8" ID tube between the cask and one of my regulators for the kegerator (set at about 10 psi as it also feeds a keg of APA). Just in case of leaks from the Speidel I shut the CO2 off when I'm not serving.

This gives you a gravity cask setup for about $65-70. A cheaper option are the 5 gallon cubitainers that Northern Brewer sold for this purpose (out of stock last time I checked), which you don't need to worry about venting air or CO2 into to carry on serving, as their collapse as beer is removed, but these are going to look a little ugly for gravity serving. Fine if you get a beer engine and can hide them away though. I guess Speidels are a little ugly as well if you intend to keep them out in the open, but it should be possible build a (chilled) box for either cubitainers or a Speidel and gravity serve from that (with the option of adding a beer engine to the top later and mounting the box lower down).

Refurbed beer engines are cheap in the UK (about $100), but you probably won't find anyone on ebay willing to ship directly to the US. Useful if you have a contact over there you can use though. I intend to try and pick one up for next time I'm over there (to get married), although that will involve shipping it back to the US in my suitcase via my honeymoon. So I still need approval for that (we would also use it for the wedding as well though, so I might get away with it).

if you want to go "authentic" it's a wee bit on the expensive side
http://home-brewing.northernbrewer.com/search?asug=&view=grid&w=cask

but you can always setup a more "ghetto-esc" setup with cornies like he has above! anything is possible... you could even use plastic jugs if you wanted (as long as they hold pressure)

Yeah, there's almost no benefit to using stainless casks over cornies or plastic casks in a home beer engine or gravity setup - the shape doesn't matter, as long as the tap sits a bit above the yeast that collects at the bottom. In fact, many breweries in the UK distribute in plastic casks nowadays. Firkin (~10 gallon batch) plastic casks as used by UK breweries can be found in the US (for less than the cost of a stainless pin cask), but I've not found plastic pin casks for sale individually to homebrewers.

Most UK homebrewers (and commercial cider brewers) use plastic "pressure barrels" - vertical plastic casks pretty much the same shape and material as the Speidel I mention above.

Latest posts

Back