Anybody have any good recipes that include acid malt to share?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
I want to experiment with acid malt. I know you can brew a berliner weisse with acid malt becuase the acidity comes from lactic acid. Would lactic acid alone be welcome in a belgian style, say, saison?

What have people experiences been with acid malt concerning how much to use in relation to the sourness of the beer?

Ode to Arthur Irish stout by BierMuncher uses a bit of Acid malt to emulate the sourness tasted in Guinness Draught.

I want to experiment with acid malt. I know you can brew a berliner weisse with acid malt becuase the acidity comes from lactic acid. Would lactic acid alone be welcome in a belgian style, say, saison?

What have people experiences been with acid malt concerning how much to use in relation to the sourness of the beer?

Acid malt is intended to lower the pH of a pilsner mash as a replacement for an acid rest. The acid in sour beers comes from bacteria used in the fermentation. Some homebrewers add acid malt to stout recipes as a method of simulating the slight tang in Guinness although I attribute this to the placebo effect.

I used it recently in my CAP. I really like the recipe and I love acid malt for adjusting ph. I have used it in a number of beers, but never for getting a lactic character. I am going to have to think about that a bit. Its purpose, as I understand it, is acidifcation of a mash and not flavor. I would like to hear from Biermuncher about his experiences and the results.

Now "Electric Koolade Acid Beer" would be a great name for a sour fruit beer. I will have to make a recipe to fit that name.

Ode to Arthur Irish stout by BierMuncher uses a bit of Acid malt to emulate the sourness tasted in Guinness Draught.

Acid malt is intended to lower the pH of a pilsner mash as a replacement for an acid rest. The acid in sour beers comes from bacteria used in the fermentation. Some homebrewers add acid malt to stout recipes as a method of simulating the slight tang in Guinness although I attribute this to the placebo effect.

But I thought the souring in a Berliner Weiss came from souring the mash? Weyermann's site claims that to achieve the acidity of this style you can use acid malt for 8% of the grain bill.

The acidity in a B-weiss comes from lactic acid produced during fermentation with lacto-b. It can be simulated in less time by allowing the mash to sit somewhere around 130F and inoculating it with some grain.

But I thought the souring in a Berliner Weiss came from souring the mash? Weyermann's site claims that to achieve the acidity of this style you can use acid malt for 8% of the grain bill.

Yes it does but a mash is soured via bacterial action not by an acid malt addition.

Hold Your Nose Gose from the book Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher:

1.5 lb Pilsener Malt
1 lb sour malt
3.5 lb malted wheat
0.5 lb oats

Hop lightly to 10 IBU, add 1 oz coriander, and 1/2 oz salt to end of boil.

Man, is this a refreshing beer! Just enough tartness. Low enough alcohol to be able to down a few without falling down.:mug: This is gong to be my "lawnmower beer" this summer.:D

1.5 lb Pilsener Malt
1 lb sour malt
3.5 lb malted wheat
0.5 lb oats

Man, is this a refreshing beer! Just enough tartness. Low enough alcohol to be able to down a few without falling down.:mug: This is gong to be my "lawnmower beer" this summer.:D

Gose is a very interesting style of beer. I tasted some made by a friend a while back and I had scary thoughts about the salt but it all seems to work. :mug:

I have brewed the Ode to Arthur a few times with the Acid Malt and although I havent brewed without it, I can taste the sourness, not as much as a real Guinness but it is there. It is belived by some that Guinness no longer uses soured beer and instead uses lactic acid for their beer, whch is beliveable because it would be a lot easyer and cheaper.

1.5 lb Pilsener Malt
1 lb sour malt
3.5 lb malted wheat
0.5 lb oats

Wow, what an interesting recipe. I may have to try that.

What kind of yeast is recommended?

Wow, what an interesting recipe. I may have to try that.

What kind of yeast is recommended?

German wheat beer yeast... fermented on the cool side.

Also - Mosher calls for only 1/4 tsp salt. I upped the quantity after seeing another recipe that had 2 oz.

Back