Anybody have an extract recipe for Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
My wife likes this beer so I figured maybe if she helped me make it and she likes the way it comes out maybe this might spark an interest in home brewing. On the Leinenkugel site it mentions some of the ingredients --uses pale and wheat malts, cluster hops, and natural orange flavor and it says its a traditional wheat beer.

Good luck! I tried to track down a clone for Summer Shandy, but didn't have much luck. Some of the recipes that I did find mentioned using lemonade Kool-Aid in the secondary. I never tried this. But, might be able to sub the lemonade for orange Kool-Aid. Give it a shot, what the hell! Lol

Edit: found this on a Google search, http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/orange-shandy might give it a shot.

Thanx I was wondering if I could do a wheat beer and add some orange zest would that bring it close to it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How would I go about the mandarin orange ? Is that pieces of orange or peels? Or zest?

It certainly couldn't hurt. I'll give you the same advice I got when trying to find a recipe for the Summer Shandy, "just squeeze some lemon (orange) into your beer after you pour it!" Lol.

From the way I read it, it was the actual flesh of the orange. Be careful about getting the pith (white stuff) into the brew, I've heard it can cause some pretty bitter flavors.

Or, you could just use the juice of the orange. If you do try it and it turns out good, let me know. My SWMBO is also a big Orange Shandy fan!

I read something about using orange juice in beer doesn't turn out right better to use the zest

In that recipe, it looks like they're adding the zest during the last 15 min of the boil. 1 oz of each lemon zest and orange zest. Add the mandarin to your secondary.

On the Shandy clone I attempted, I zested a few lemons, soaked in vodka, and threw into the secondary for a week. I'm not sure what went wrong, or how, but this attempt was horrendous. I've only dumped 2 batches in the last 7 years, that was one of them!

Can you buy the zest or do you just grate it off fresh oranges?

When you add mandarin ... Just throw itin then rack onto it or put in a bag then add to secondary!

Cool how long would I leave in secondary before I bottle also if I didn't want to do all this could I just add orange extract at bottling time also with mandarin in secondary do I sanatize it some how or prep it or just peel and throw in?

I'd leave it in for a week. You could use extract I suppose, I've always just tried to avoid flavorings and use fresh/frozen fruit. If you're just adding the flesh of the orange, I think you'll be ok. If you're worried about it, soak it in some vodka for a bit then throw it in. You might also check out this recipe, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=396346 it might get you close to what you want! I think page 8 or so has the extract version.

Back