Anybody ever use Palm Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerG

Reaction score
No, it didn't come from my own palms - although I do live in Florida.

I was in the oriental super store and saw this stuff, said sugar, so I bought it to use as an exotic adjunct - maybe make a carribean type beer or something. Does anyone know exactly what kind of sugar it is?

It tastes like subtle coconut that lingers a bit - the tree that it comes from in the form of sap. What I know from researching the web is that it is used in cooking or for snacking. I guess if it comes from tree sap then it may behave like Maple Syrup in a recipe - flavorwise?????

Perhaps the mild flavor would just get lost in the mix?

It is also known as jaggery, and is common in Indian markets also. Randy Mosher discusses it quite a bit, and includes in several recipies in Radical Brewing. I have used it once, but not sure what it contributed, as the batch did not turn out great - got too warm during fermentation. I have more in the pantry to use on future brews. I would use it whenever you want some sugar in a lighter style, as it should add some background notes - the stuff does taste good! I like piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar cone-shaped chunks) for dark beers, as it is a very unrefined sugar with molasses notes.

javedian said:
Randy Mosher discusses it quite a bit, and includes in several recipies in Radical Brewing.

IIRC that section of the book is on the web in pdf form...it discusses various sugars and their flavor/body impact.

I used Jaggery sugar in a saison i did, it gave it a semi-sweet finish, not too sweet and also cntributed to the body of the beer. I used a pound in a 5 gal batch and it was a bit much i think, I should have used a half pound. I sort of masked the spices a little. I would try it again but a little less next time.

Cheers

Back