Anybody Ever Make Chipotles In Adobo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking.... hmm... what can I do with my smoker besides meat, cheese and pale malt. I use chipotles in adobo frequently for grilled meats either as a marinade or a grilling glaze. Then in beans, bean dip and chili.

Have any of you done this?

The link for the adobo recipe looks good enough. The recipe for the chipotles says to smoke until dry. I just wonder how long that might be.

Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.

How To Make Your Own Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce.

Making Your Own Chipotle Peppers From Jalapeno’s.

I bought a bunch of red jalapenos and smoked them over hickory; they dried up nice and have a good flavor, though they didn't turn into those papery, grey mummy fingers like dried chipotles I buy at the store. I like to throw one into a pot of pintos, I make them tejano style with lots of spices and hickory smoked jalapenos add a great flavor. I suspect the traditional grey/tan ones are boiled or somehow cooked before smoking, giving up the waxy texture for a crumbly, much drier consistency. Either way, smoked peppers are awesome!

I bought a bunch of red jalapenos and smoked them over hickory; they dried up nice and have a good flavor, though they didn't turn into those papery, grey mummy fingers like dried chipotles I buy at the store. I like to throw one into a pot of pintos, I make them tejano style with lots of spices and hickory smoked jalapenos add a great flavor. I suspect the traditional grey/tan ones are boiled or somehow cooked before smoking, giving up the waxy texture for a crumbly, much drier consistency. Either way, smoked peppers are awesome!
JayJay1976

I've been looking for something to smoke with chicken this week. Jalapenos it is....

I like them in beans too.

Hell, any grilled meat dredged in pureed chipotles in adobo is to die for in my opinion. Grilled, broiled or baked.

I put country ribs dredged in chipotles in adobo, double wrapped foil in the oven at 300F for two hours, then pulled the foil off and grilled them with a fruit BBQ sauce to put a nice glaze on them. - OMG so good.

I've smoke dried red jalapeños and then ground them up for chipotle powder, but never the adobo part.

I topped and cored them (like you would to stuff them) then nipped the ends off for air flow.
Didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.
You do want to start fairly low on the heat though.
Used pecan wood.

It was awesome.

I've smoke dried red jalapeños and then ground them up for chipotle powder, but never the adobo part.

I topped and cored them (like you would to stuff them) then nipped the ends off for air flow.
Didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.
You do want to start fairly low on the heat though.
Used pecan wood.

It was awesome.
I'm planning to smoke them for a few hours then finish them off in the oven.
Doing it...
20181029_151117.jpeg

Back