Anybody chopped their hops in a food processor and regretted it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
I am coming to prefer pellet hops, especially for dry-hopping, since they don't seem to soak up as much beer, and I don't have to worry about siphoning around them or putting a strainer on the siphon or anything like that. Problem is, I don't always have a choice -- I may only be able to find the variety I want as whole leaf.

Yesterday I had the radical new idea to chop up whole hops in a food processor, essentially making them behave the same as pellets. Oh whoops, wasn't so radical and new, was it, as a search on this board reveals lots of threads where people mention doing this.

So that sounds good. But a few people have expressed concern that either a) oxidation during the chopping process would degrade the aroma; or b) the hop resins would stick to the walls of the food processor, and since they are not water soluble rinsing with wort would not actually get them out. However, these sound like theoretical concerns expressed by folks who haven't actually tried it.

Which doesn't mean they're wrong, of course. But they aren't necessarily right either: even if both of those phenomena are real, that doesn't mean the net effect isn't trivial.

So to the question: Anybody out there who has done the food processor thing on their hops, and then later wish they hadn't? e.g. you found the aroma wasn't what you had hoped, it had off flavors you hadn't noticed in previous batches, etc?

My coleslaw tastes funny afterward.

Oooo, actually... Unless you were joking, this might be a dealbreaker for me. Yeah, I imagine it would be hard to get the aroma/taste out of the food processor bowl. As the main cook in the house, this would make me a sad panda.

Oooo, actually... Unless you were joking, this might be a dealbreaker for me. Yeah, I imagine it would be hard to get the aroma/taste out of the food processor bowl. As the main cook in the house, this would make me a sad panda.

Bah, throw it in the dishwasher....I sincerely doubt hop oils can withstand 160 degree water and soap.

But if you're really worried, one of those $1 cutting boards and a knife will do a fine job of mincing up hops too.

Yeah. I'm joking. I've never done it. I'm a pellet-guy.

What are you looking to get out of breaking up the pellets?

No no, the idea is to break up the whole leaf hops, so that they are more like pellets -- many people (myself included) strongly prefer pellets for dry hops, and some people (maybe including myself, I haven't decided) even prefer pellets in the boil.

Okay, so glad to hear the funky coleslaw was a joke :) Okay, I will rest easy on that, and just run the bowl through the dishwasher afterwards (if I do this, that is).

No no, the idea is to break up the whole leaf hops, so that they are more like pellets -- many people (myself included) strongly prefer pellets for dry hops, and some people (maybe including myself, I haven't decided) even prefer pellets in the boil.

Okay, so glad to hear the funky coleslaw was a joke :) Okay, I will rest easy on that, and just run the bowl through the dishwasher afterwards (if I do this, that is).

I don't know what the advantage would be- they wouldn't be "pelletized". They'd just be chopped whole hops. They'd still suck up as much wort and probably clog the siphon even easier.

I use whole hops and do very well with them. I'm pretty proficient at racking, though.

Well, I know from searching that other people have tried it, so I don't think it's completely crazy.

Still haven't decided if I want to try it or not. I do know that I've had a much more stress-free time siphoning on my last couple of batches, which were all pellet hops; and that I was a bit disappointed when I made your DFH 60 clone that I only got 44 beers out of a 6.5-gallon batch. (Actually only 42, because I somehow managed to leave two of them uncapped. WTF...)

If the main goal of freezing the whole leaf hops is to break the cell walls, you might be able to get a good effect just by freezing the whole hops.

Back