anybody brewed ed worts haus PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
brewed the Haus,
pre boil gravity = 1.042
post boil gravity = 1.051

boiled too much off, I boiled at high temp as high as I could go, probably to high. Next time I will not heat it so much. But I am happy with my OG, If you have brewed this brew let me know how it turned out.

thx for the thread i didnt see the OG on his recipe, I hit it right on. I used white labs california ale yeast because it was what my lhbs had, Im sure it is no problem but if it is send me a post.

yah AG, my first it was awesome way better than those silly cans. My mash tun sprung a leak at the beginning when sanitizing, but I had some silicone caulk on hand to fix it. I need to modify my MLT before my next brew. I think I am going to brew a nut brown ale next.

Right on! Thats awesome, brewing AG is SOOOO much more fun than extract (IMO...)

Where did you get your ingredients? Locally? I went by the Liquid Town the other day and picked up some specialty grains....they only had like 6-7 to choose from. Luckily though I picked up a pound of rice hulls and used ALL of it on my hefe this weekend (first time using my grain mill....milled WAY too tight). I hope they expand and start carrying more stuff though...

Congrats on the first AG! Sometime (maybe after spring break) we'll have to get together and brew...

EDIT: Oh yeah...you don't have to sanitize your mash tun. You just need to make sure everything preboil is clean. Sanitation becomes important postboil...

Hey Travis, I got your PM but your inbox is full....so I'll post here and maybe try again later.

hopsalot said:
when I was brewing tha AG pa when I went my 60 min boil I just left my stove on full blast. I think it was aroun 230+, by the end of my boil I probably had 4 gallons but I hit my gravity. If not as much wort had boiled off I would not have hit my gravity, right? If this is true I have the perfect amount of beer for my process and ingredients. Or am I way off here?

Nope that sounds right. The more water you boil off the more you concentrate your sugars. Sometimes you have to do this intentionaly. Say you had crappy efficientcy, you could just boil for a bit longer to get your gravity right and just end up with a little less beer. Same is true for too high of a gravity, you could just cut your boil by 10 min or whatever to have more beer but the right gravity. In that situation you COULD top up with boiled and cooled water but thats more of a pain in the ass if you ask me.

I had to do this this weekend with my hefe. I had ****ty efficientcy and decided to sparge more and boil down a bit. I ended up at 1.049 instead of 1.053 but I was closer than I would have been.

Also, if you had decent effientcy out of your MLT you don't have to leave the burner full blast. Just get up to boil and reduce to a low flame but keep boiling. If your using a turkey fryer (like me) this will help save some propane.

Again, congrats on the first AG! I've been meaning to brew that beer so maybe a swap is in order! :tank:

Take it easy!

Latest posts

Back